ZX6R 05-06 Replacement Chain & Sprockets

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

ZX6R 05-06 Replacement Chain & Sprockets

Postby robracer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:51 am

This is a little how to thread & is basically how I would go about replacing my chain & sprockets, right or wrong it works for me so I thought I would share.
NB I take no responsibility should you stuff up or if something goes wrong from reading or copying this 8)

This chain replacement has come about by the lack of maintenance by the previous owner resulting in two tight spots in the old chain that no amount of lube or adjustment could fix, so rather than do damage to the output shaft / seal a full replacement was required & as you have been told before a new chain calls for new sprockets as well.
Please don’t skimp on quality of your chain, you don’t want to be back here in a hurry.
First step is have the tools ready, you don’t want to get caught out having to wait a day or two because you were not ready for the job, especially if this is your commuter
Not everything is shown in the pic but the essentials are here
Angle grinder
Heavy-duty impact driver, (rattle gun) air is better than electric
High temp waterproof grease
WD 40
¼ inch socket set 8mm socket
½ inch socket set 8mm, 14mm, 27mm 32mm sockets
Old large screwdriver
Nail Punch
12mm open-ended socket
14mm open-ended socket
Chain breaker
12 KG steel bar / drift or similar
Missing are: Chain Press, Large Hammer

Chain Breaker & chain press

New Sprockets, & yes I could have gone alloy for the bling factor but these will last 5 times longer

New Chain, as good as it gets

Place the bike on a stand, in this case I forgot to change over to the pick up knobs so the access is a bit tight but manageable. Start at the front as you will need the rear wheel & old chain fitted to remove the front sprocket-locking nut.

This is the front sprocket cover

Remove the bolts holding the sprocket cover including the engine bolt with the hose clamp, the best tool for the job here is the ¼ inch socket set & 8mm socket… a standard ½ inch will be too bulky to fit behind the fairing lower & the socket will be too big to fit within the cover + can lead to rounded off bolt heads & a headache.
This socket set is a ripper going form a tiny size 4mm socket to 13mm socket

Taking out the engine bolt allows you to pull back the hoses for the removal of the sprocket cover without damage to the cover of frame, it’s a tight squeeze but it will come off.

Fold back the locking Tab using an old screwdriver being careful not to hack up the washer as it can be reused

Now for the fun part put the bike in gear & have a helper depress the brake lever, using the impact wrench (rattle gun) with a 27mm socket to remove the locking nut, this will either work or not, in this case it worked because I use a heavy duty rattle gun.
If you are unlucky you may need a breaker bar for lots of leverage

Remove the locking nut & washer, at this stage check that you have not damaged the washer too much & get a new one if need be, in this case I will reuse the original one

The cover will no doubt need to be cleaned of the build up of muck off the chain; this is what my cover looked like after 24,000 KM, really not as much build up as expected so the assumption about lack of maintenance was correct.

Don’t forget to clean around the output shaft using kero as it is gentle; please no solvents near the rubber seal!
I would also take the time to have a sticky & look for leaks or anything that looks out of place.

At this stage check that your new front sprocket is the correct size, no need to worry about the threaded holes as these sprockets are universal & some bikes use these holes to lock the sprocket

Fit the new front sprocket, washer & tighten the locking nut by hand, we will tighten further once the new chain is fitted

Now for the rear end, remove the split pin & using a 32mm socket remove the nut, washer & alignment block on the left hand side

Pull out the axel & check all pieces for wear or damage, then keep everything together so its all on hand & ready to go for installation, with the spacers you should have a grease mark on the end that sits in the rubber bearing seal

At this stage check that your rear sprocket is the correct size, in this case I have gone down a tooth for more top end, this small change should only just be noticeable

Remove the 14mm nuts holding the rear sprocket by hand… I stress by hand… as ages ago I did it using a rattle gun & one of the studs came out a few threads, it is a pain in the ass to get the studs back in so by hand is the safe way. Once the new sprocket is fitted you can tighten using the rattle gun & the best way is to work diagonally to ensure the sprocket is flat.

Next task is to split the old chain for removal, you could use the angle grinder for this but I prefer to do it the clean way using the chain breaker to push out the pins corresponding pins

Fit the rear wheel spacers & axel making sure the adjusters on each side are facing the right way, lube up the adjusting bolts with WD40

Screw in the bolts as far as they will go, this will allow you to work out the perfect length of your new chain

Place the chain around the sprockets & pull the rear wheel axel as far forward as possible & mark the chain where the two inner links meet up, please make sure that you don’t match up an inner & outer link as this will really stuff you up, double check the length & once you have found the pin you want to remove mark it with a texta or liquid paper

You now need to cut off the excess chain & for this I use an angle grinder to make sure the wanted links are not damaged, locate your marked pin & grind down the top until you can see the shaft outline

Here is the new length chain in place & ready to join

I prefer to use rivet links instead of clips as it is a more permanent joint, this joining link is supplied with the chain & has a complete set of X rings

Place the X rings on the joining link ready for insertion, use extra lube at this stage, I use the high temp grease & place it inside the X rings, although the link & parts are lubed, you really need to pack in between the X rings & the link shafts

Insert the link & lube the shafts before fitting the link plate, make sure the X rings are centered, they should not move much because of the extra grease

Use the chain press to compress the link, this can not be done with pliers or multigrips, this tool was $14 from the accessories store, The bolt is hollow & there is a depression in the opposite side, for this task I insert a ball bearing into the depression to push against the back of the pin. Basically you make sure the hollow in the bolt passes over the pin as it compresses the outer plate & link, it will not spring back once the tool is released.

The pins should now be ready to fold over

I use a Punch to spread out the end of the shafts, the punch has been shortened specifically for this use so I have bought a few & ground them to various lengths.

Spin the joining link around so you can get clear access from both sides & have your helper stand on the other side with the heavy steel bar

The steel bar is placed against the back of the pin while you use the punch to spread the end of the pins, this is the reason the ends of the joining link pins are hollow.
The end result should look like this

Now all the is left to do is adjust your chain tension from both sides using the freshly lubed bolts

Make sure that both sides are the same

I string line the rear wheel to make sure the alignment is spot but to long a process to go into in this post.
I also have a helper sit on the bike to make sure the chain tension is perfect including any tight spots that may be present.

Tighten the locknuts on both sides, tighten the axel nut & replace the R clip

Now back to that front sprocket, it still needs to be tightened, put the bike back in gear & have your helper hold on the rear brake, use the rattle gut to tighten the locking nut then fold over the washer from 2 sides, this will be the last time this washer can be used

Replace the sprocket cover making sure the hoses are not kinked & the cover sits flush.

Check that you have tightened all bolts clean the bike & go for a long ride

Check the chain tension after a few hundred K’s as the chain will stretch a fair bit initially

You will notice that the factory lube will last a long time, but don’t get complacent with your new chain, keep it well lubed & adjusted frequently.
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: ZX6R 05-06 Replacement Chain & Sprockets

Postby waynemorgan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:14 am

Excellent write up Rob :kuda: the pics make it very easy to understand.
I don't like the term insane - I prefer mentally hilarious!
waynemorgan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZZR600

Postby ijuschill » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:37 pm

That is a great write up Rob, Well Done with pics also,very clear and close up :kuda: :kuda:
08 Yellow ZX6R Aka Bumblebee

The 6 is an addiction, but Green is for life! :kuda:
ijuschill
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Wattie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:54 pm

team budget racing prefers to use vice grips to squeeze the link together... place a 6mm ring spanner over the pin so its free to slide though and squeeze..

quite dodgy but effective. the chain joining tool we had bent while tightening. :?
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby robracer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:17 pm

Wattie wrote: the chain joining tool we had bent while tightening. :?

I just bought another for $13 as the old one was munted ( dont lend out your tools kiddies ) before using these ones I used to use G clamps but these are so easy to use I would never go back :D
Attachments
Tool.jpg
Tool.jpg (178.01 KiB) Viewed 20307 times
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby robracer » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:47 pm

Update:
The putty run today has shown a slight problem with the sprocket reduction, seems going down 1 on the rear effects the acceleration too much :roll: the top end is great & crusing at 100K she is definently not working as hard but get on the gas coming out of fast corners & she just does not please like before :? I will wack on the 43 for next weeks run to work out the diff.
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Wattie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:12 pm

bugger :?
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby tim » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:16 pm

Awesome write-up Rob!

Bummer on the sprocket
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby robracer » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:23 pm

Well you dont know till you try & there is nothing like the experience gained from doing it yourself, so I am happy :D
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby hoffy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:00 pm

nice write up mate ! :kuda:
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Bike: Z1000

Postby un_majstk » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:55 pm

great post. really easy to just keep reading AND understand it.

makes a sprocket change seems so damn easy, i'm almost tempted to have a crack myself ...almost :)
un_majstk
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Honda

Postby robracer » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:11 am

All you need is the tools & the time u_m ;)
For an update I have gone back to an original size sprocket & coming back from Gingers Creek got to test it out on the putty road again, I was right about the gearing being wrong...... for that little bit of top end the loss from the bottom was not worth it & with standard gearing I am not having to keep hammering the gearbox 8)
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby StuMiller » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:01 pm

Fantastic thread!! I was going ask what impact increasing or decreasing the number of teeth on either the front or rear sprocket has.
2007 ZX6 - Road bike
StuMiller
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Tasmania

Postby robracer » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:39 pm

Basically decreasing by 1 tooth on the rear the six was doing 5K revs at 110kph instead of 6K revs, but as mentioned in the twisties I was having to chase gears to keep the usual speed up, I much prefer the original gearing :D
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby BrisZX9R » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:39 am

Rob,

as someone who is terrified to do anything to his bike other than wash & clean it plus lube the chain, I would like to thank you for such a concise, easy to follow, well written article. You now have me willing and wanting to go change my own chain & sprockets! And for that I am truly thankful as I really want to be able to do as much to my bike as possible.

If anyone else has any other self maintenance type articles out there they are willing to share, I'd be more than willing to read and follow!

Thanks
BrisZX9R
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Next

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk