Repositioning the battery

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

Repositioning the battery

Postby mattyv74 » Thu May 27, 2004 8:38 pm

Hey guys. One of the other jobs I'm doing at the moment is an under tail panel for a 7. Problem is to get the sleek clean look I'm after, the battery won't fit betwee the new panel and the front seat.
Can these so called dry batteries be laid on there side or have they still got plates that need to be covered by acid? :?
If It has to be moved, it will probably go under the back seat.
:mrgreen:
It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if chequered with failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, as they live in grey twilight that knows no victory nor defeat.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Bike: ZX7R
State: Queensland

re: Repositioning the battery

Postby Rossi » Thu May 27, 2004 9:20 pm

matty, where'd ya get your undertail from??
Most of them have an online fitting help for things like this

Careful mate with laying it on its side though...most are not dry but are laughingly called sealed for life
Rossi
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX9R
State: Victoria

Postby mattyv74 » Thu May 27, 2004 10:08 pm

Hey, I'm pretty fussy about that type of stuff and haven't found one that I like. Most of em look a over the top and look cheap. So out of frustration I'm starting from scratch. The mould should be done inside a month. Then gotta sort lights and number plate.
Could be good for Rob, Mina, Bobbi and any of the other 7's in the group. Pitty you're on a 9 coz I'm more than happy to share. 3some.gif
:mrgreen:
It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if chequered with failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, as they live in grey twilight that knows no victory nor defeat.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Postby mfzx6r » Fri May 28, 2004 8:46 am

Mate
I'd give my first born for a seat cowl !! hahaha not realy but I can dream

mario
Mario
'01 zx6r
klx300r
If it aint "Lime green" it must be a "Lemon"
Friends dont let friends ride Hondas

The most famous KSRC member of all...
Part of the "Fookarwe" tribe
mfzx6r
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby mattyv74 » Fri May 28, 2004 11:07 am

Hey Mario, I've got a shit load on my plate at the moment. Give me a bit of time and we might see what we can do.
There is a couple of options;
1- You can do the leg work on the net a find one ya like and we can make it from scratch, or
2- if a few of you want the same thing, splash out between you and I'll flop it for you. Then we coul make as many as we liked.

The 2nd option may even allow us to raise a little dough (via ebay etc..) for a social event, errrr beer and bbq. Or at least recover the cost of the origional.
If ya keen, let me know. 8)
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Postby aardvark » Fri May 28, 2004 7:21 pm

Ooooh...... someone volunteering to make a seat cowl for the ZX6????
:shock:

If you can make one that looks like the current model ZX6 cowl, I'll be in it for sure!!

And, by the way. If you were able to make enough of them, I'd be pretty confident that you could sell them by the bucket load on Ebay.
aardvark
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Postby mattyv74 » Fri May 28, 2004 11:09 pm

Hi again Jase, ok it's time for me to fess up. XXfart.gif
In a past life I was a boat builder. Used to build circuit race and Ski race boats for a crust. Also grew up around Drag racing and Hot Rods.
So given the time, resources and motivation I can make most stuff out fibre glass,and even carbon fibre.
At the moment I'm building;
1- my new c/f muffler 100mm,
2- remanufactureing bluefly's stock can as a C/f highflow unit,
3- making c/f ram air covers for the 7,s
4- an under tail unit for the 7's
5- a c/f numberplate and indicator carrier fo the new under tail,
6- and finally flush front indicator plugs, also for a 7.

Sooo, I've got heaps on but, when I catch up, Iam more than happy to help you guys out. After all some of you guys have done a stupid amount of work to get this whole thing running.
Have alook at my work when I put some pics up or chat to some of the others who can look at it on a ride. Do your home work about what you want and let me know. :twisted:
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Postby aardvark » Sat May 29, 2004 12:30 am

Ahhh... nice!!

I actually know a bloke who is a boat builder. He built the rear seat and cowl for my race bike, and is in the middle of manufacturing a fibreglass tank for it.

I was gonna hit him up for a rear-cowl for the ZX6, but that might be pushing the aquaintance a bit far....

So, it's good to know you have some skills. I'm good at... ummm... giving people tickets, so if you ever want a fine for something, come over here and I'm happy to help you out. Hahahahaha...
aardvark

Postby Rossi » Sat May 29, 2004 2:34 am

Jason,
you'd be more bloody use if ya could help us get away without being written up :lol: :lol:
Rossi
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX9R

Postby mattyv74 » Sat May 29, 2004 9:40 am

Jase, I'd like to see your new tank. We used to use them in th methanol boats to maximise room coz you need to carry so much fuel to make 1500hp for 40+ minutes.
They are nice but make sure you get it really really really really clean before you use it. I've seen many days spoiled by crap from manufacturing floating around in the fuel.
How about you move over here and ride with us coz when ever I ride with a cop over we never booked, even when pulled over. :wink:
Also my little Bro is a member in WA and he never gets done coz of his hat on the seat.
But thats cool, I don't know of a job without an up side. Well maybe a septic tank cleaner or something, but you know what I mean.
Stay posted and I'll show you some picks asap. 8)

ps. are you after a cowl to replace the seat like a gsxr or one that slides over the seat?? :?:
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Postby aardvark » Sat May 29, 2004 12:39 pm

Gotta admit, I've never been booked when out riding. But that's because I don't behave like a hoon!! :wink:

Anyway, the fuel tank isn't actually a fuel tank. It's a fake tank, with a 2 litre water bottle tucked away under the seat. The tank is shaped out of hi-density foam with a glass outter skin. Once I've finally finished the bike, I'll take some pics and send them thru.

I'd like to be able to replace the rear seat all together. I think I've mentioned it here before, but my idea was to go to a wreckers, and grab a rear seat. Then, rip all the padding etc off of it, and find a way to fit a new ZX6 shaped rear cowl to it. That way, it could just snap on and off like the rear seat currently does.

However, if it were easier to make something that looks cool like the ZX12 (I think it's the 12) cover, that sits over the top of the seat, I'm sure we'd be more than happy with that.

Here's a couple of pics of some cowls. And lastly, the blue bike is my bike with a blue '03 ZX6 shaped cowl on it... I doctored it up in Paint Shop, but it gives you an idea of how much better this shape looks.
Attachments
4.jpeg
4.jpeg (61.04 KiB) Viewed 6563 times
8.jpeg
8.jpeg (27.96 KiB) Viewed 6563 times
amcmotorcycles.jpeg
amcmotorcycles.jpeg (7.01 KiB) Viewed 6561 times
carbotex.jpeg
carbotex.jpeg (17 KiB) Viewed 6560 times
pyramid.jpeg
pyramid.jpeg (8.19 KiB) Viewed 6560 times
Jase's new bike0005.jpg
Jase's new bike0005.jpg (27.3 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
aardvark

Postby mattyv74 » Sat May 29, 2004 5:26 pm

Cool Dude, any of these are possible. We should be done well before spring.
Betta go and do some more work on my stuff now. c ya. :D :mrgreen:
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Postby mrmina » Sun May 30, 2004 12:38 pm

Good stuff matty.

Also be very very careful when messing around with the battery as it can damage other things if the acid spills anywhere.

And dont lay it on its side, the plugs aren't 100% sealed.
mrmina

Postby mrmina » Sun May 30, 2004 12:41 pm

On the gixxer 750 the battery has a house that is tilled on an angle and they dont strap it in.

You could try making the housing as part ( or seperate) of the undertail thingga magiggy.

I tried to be as technical as i can.
mrmina

Postby Bluefly » Sun May 30, 2004 10:31 pm

Mattyv says "thanks for that idea. Hadn't thought of that one". He's too busy racing a Toyota Supra on the Xbox right now to reply. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here on the couch amusing myself on the KSRC site. Anyone else ever had fantasies about mutilating/smashing Xbox's? Maybe some brake fluid on the laser reader or something?... :snakeman:
Hayden who??
Bluefly
Patient 46
Patient 46

Next

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk