fuel pump running backwards??

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

fuel pump running backwards??

Postby BLOOzx9 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:30 am

I put a dynojet kit in my 98 zx9 in the holidays. After reassembly she wouldnt start. I ran the starter motor for minutes, literally, and checked the float bowls and they were dry as a dead dingo's old fella.

tracing the system from the tank, there is plenty of fuel in there, the pump is running, but from the pump onwards is dead dry. the fuel filter is empty. The lines to the carbs are empty. Dry.

When I pulled the discharge from the fuel pump off (after the filter but before the carbs, it was dry and if I put my finger over the end of the hose, it felt like the pump was providing a vacuum at that location, ie, trying to suck from the carbs and blow into the tank???

The fuel filter is not blocked. The wiring to the pump is of the correct polarity (the plug can only go one way) and I can see no reason why the pump isnt pumping fuel to the carbs???

I spoke to Glen at Parramatta (who was very helpful - I'll definately be a client in the future) who suggested to bypass the pump and gravity feed the carbs to get it to run, then reconnect the pump, hoping that that might help prime the system.

Has anyone had this problem? With the wealth of ZX9 knowledge on this forum, I thought someone might have come across this before??
Kye - 98' ZX9R
BLOOzx9

re: fuel pump running backwards??

Postby MickLC » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:41 am

I'm sure you've checked everything, but are you 100% that you've got it connected up right? When you mention the output line from the pump and the filter in the same sentence it got me wondering.
Attachments
fuel_pump.jpg
fuel_pump.jpg (44.9 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000
State: ACT

Postby Nanna10r » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:51 am

Well your bike doesnt Suck, but a think a blown 9 would be damn scary. Mate swap the hoses n try again. If you ve done that. The impella on the pump may be spinning ?..
hth.
Cheers Brett
"Nan & Pop Racing"
Poppy Hops on .... CBR150 (Superlite) CBR954 "Blade"
Nanna Naps on .... MoriWAKI NSR85 (Motolite) ZX10R "Crim"
We may ride like Old Can'ts, But Phuk we look DOOG !!!!!!
Nanna10r
Team Ninja

Bike: ZX10R
State: Queensland

Re: re: fuel pump running backwards??

Postby BLOOzx9 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:20 pm

Mick C 98ZX9R wrote:I'm sure you've checked everything, but are you 100% that you've got it connected up right? When you mention the output line from the pump and the filter in the same sentence it got me wondering.

Ha ha ha!! dont I feel the fool. So simple!!

I've hooked it up the wrong way. For some reason I assumed the hose with the wire around it went to the fuel tap (like on my Z-50!) but no...

Theres the solution. Thanks Mick C!!! Where did you get that pic BTW?
Thanx again!
Kye - 98' ZX9R
BLOOzx9

Postby MickLC » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:28 pm

Glad it was something simple!

The pick is out of the workshop manual that I got from Damon on CD. I've PM'd Dan about getting an FTP account to load it up to the server but he must be on holidays at the moment. I could send you a copy if you want, PM me your address if you're interested.
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000
State: ACT

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk