brake trouble

For general Technical and Performance Discussions

brake trouble

Postby zxrarron » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:30 pm

i own a 200o zx2r my problem is the brakes. when i apply the front brakes they shudder big time. more noticable once they have warmed up a little bit. but have also shuddered real bad first corner so not like they dont do it when cold. so i checked pads and they were down. went to local kwaka shop he said thed be fine. went to another shop said no way showed me that it was nearly down to the metal. so i put a new set in. so my confidence in kawasaki has dropped considerably since they told me wasok. one pad in particular had worn uneven say 4 mm on one side to 1mm on the other. not sure if thats normal or not. had a service and asked if they could check disks on a dial guage to c if warped but said they were ok. ive noe had a close look at the disks and it shows where the disks have started to rust in spots and not in others obviously the pad isnt hitting that bit of disk. would it b disk? maybe caliper? i just not sure what to do? any advise would be gratefull
zxrarron
Warming up
Warming up

re: brake trouble

Postby YAPPA » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:00 pm

m8, sounds like they b fuk'd buddy, u should definately not b gettin' rust spots in some areas & contact in others. sounds like the carriers r warped,(the carrier is the bit the disc actually pressed onto, the the carrier is then bolted 2 the side of the wheel) unless they r not "floating discs" , shit now i'm confusing the issue. MORAL OF THE STORY.....THEY'RE ROOTED, GO GET SUM NEWIES, when u get new discs u can use the pads again (as long as u havn't started wearing them 2 unevenly) when u take the pads out they will look shiny on the bit that goes against the disc, NEW DISC & SHINY PAD= BIG NO NO! take the pad over 2 ur nearest piece of flat concrete & give it a rub until it's not shiny anymore, put bac k 2gether & go 4 a blat.
hope this helps
yapp.

p.s. don't forget 2 check the wheel bearings as well while the wheels out :wink:
YAPPA
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R
State: Queensland

Postby corbywan » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:07 pm

Yeah, what Yappa has said.
I think you should look at the carriers or wheel for being "not true".
If they aren't get new carriers, or get your front wheel straightened.

Good luck
Corbywan
"ZX6R - The laws of physics want their virginity back! "
corbywan
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Rusty » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:13 pm

Also might be a good idea to check the calipers for binding, especially if one pad is wearing much quicker than the others.

Had a dirty piston do that once.
Rusty
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX9R

Postby Nanna10r » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:38 pm

The side that is wearing 4mm & 1 mm may need to have a Caliper kit thrown at it as well. If the piston is pitted may hurt your pocket even more so be ready for bad news there. Cost me $40 per side per caliper for kits on the fzr6 a few months back. $400 for a pair of front discs on Exchange Carriers.
cheers Brett
"Nan & Pop Racing"
Poppy Hops on .... CBR150 (Superlite) CBR954 "Blade"
Nanna Naps on .... MoriWAKI NSR85 (Motolite) ZX10R "Crim"
We may ride like Old Can'ts, But Phuk we look DOOG !!!!!!
Nanna10r
Team Ninja

Bike: ZX10R

Postby icebreaker » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:20 am

I had that problem with my discs... they we able to fix them by sanding the discs down, and after 2 or 3 goes at it they were perfect for months..

The ZX2R rotors do warp very easy..

Aussie/Oze Discs are the cheapest around approx $195 per rotor..
You send him yours and fits the new disc on the floater, and ships them back... Send on a Monday you'd have them by Wednesday.. I never ended up needing them, but alot of people buy off him.. His discs are slotted not drilled, so disc strength is maintained....

You just have to hope that it's heat applied to the disc causing the problem, and nothing else... aka disc lock being smacked into the rotor, and stuff like that.. if it's just been a gradual thing, then your prob safe so far as it just being the rotor..

BTW the pad wear, i believe is not uncommon, Mario changed mine and they were Farked on the inside.. like 1mm and had about 3 or 4mm on the outside... Some times it's hard to see the inside, so they may have just seen the outside and gone, it's ok.. I know I did for about 4 months till I realised the insde was abit more worn.. Didn't realise how much more warn until we pulled them out... AHH!!

Dan
Ducati Monster S2R1000
Kawasaki '77 Z1000A1, '76 z900 (Project) & '78 Z1000A2 (Project)

http://www.unihost.com.au - Affordable, Reliable Webhostng
icebreaker
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: Z1000
State: Tasmania

Return to General Tech & Performance Talk