Double win for Sykes at Aragon.!

Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing

Double win for Sykes at Aragon.!

Postby MadKaw » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:19 pm

Incredible Double Double For Sykes, Baz And KRT At Motorland

A stunning performance from KRT Superbike riders Tom Sykes and Loris Baz gave the team a historic 1-2 finish in each 17-lap race at Motorland Aragon, with Sykes winning from Baz each time out. David Salom gritted his teeth to finish 13th in race one and 10th in race two on his Evo KRT machine. Tom and Loris now lead the championship outright, with Tom on 75 points and Loris on 71.

The truly peerless raceday performances from Sykes and Baz at the KRT team’s home circuit of Motorland Aragon came after Sykes and Baz had also gone first and second respectively on the grid after Superpole at the 5.344km Motorland circuit. Kawasaki is now leading the Manufacturers’ Championship by ten points after four individual races.

Conditions were cooler for race one, given the early start at 10.30am, with Sykes heading into an immediate lead and pushing away in his inimitable style. In race one he won by 4.275 seconds from Loris, having set a new lap record of 1’57.664 on lap two.

Tom came under pressure in the warmer race two, as track temperatures doubled, with Loris his constant companion. A late challenge from Marco Melandri was rebuffed by both Sykes and Baz, after the Italian rider ran wide in the entry to the final hairpin during an out-braking manoeuvre. Tom held off Loris by only 0.338 seconds in race two, after a quite amazing weekend for the KRT full Superbike riders. Tom has now won sixteen full SBK races in his career.

David Salom was also on strong form despite his recent hand injury, finishing second Evo bike in race one and the best of the Evo riders in race two, securing a top ten finish.

Assen in the Netherlands, on April 27th is the next stop off on the SBK calendar in 2014.

Tom Sykes: “It was very important to put in this kind of performance after the first weekend in Phillip Island. We scored two race wins today but after four or five laps of race two it felt far from perfect! Race one was very good and we had a good set-up that gave us a consistent pace on a cold track. I was expecting more of a drop off in that race but it was good to the end. I thought race two was going to be more straightforward in hot conditions so I went for the same SC0 as race one. There was a change in temperature in race two on the starting grid and I had to dig extra deep and try to make the best of the changing situation. The two guys behind me for sure had more grip than me but we were for sure able to put the Ninja ZX-10R on the pieces of tarmac those guys were looking for. I had a plan on the last lap to keep them behind me - and it worked. If someone had have made the pass and made it stick they would have deserved the win. Marco tried a pass and could not quite make the corner on the final lap. It was great racing and good for the spectators!”

Loris Baz: “There was a change in temperature for race two so we changed the rear tyre to suit it. We knew that race one would be hard for us because of the lower temperature but we hoped that the track would warm a little bit more to be sure to use the SC0 tyre. Finally it was on the limit in the opening race so we did not know what to do in race two. I pushed Pere my crew chief to use the soft one and I think it was a good decision because Tom seems to have struggled a bit more in race two on a different tyre. I caught him after a few laps and I think we had good race and we each enjoyed it. I tried to pass Tom but I lost the front a bit. I knew Melandri was closing behind so I wanted to overtake Tom as soon as possible. I could not do it and maybe I went a lap too early. When Marco came past we got involved for a while and we could not quite catch Tom. At this track we have usually struggled but here we are, close to the victory, on the podium twice and that is a good sign for the rest of the season. I am still second in the championship and now we go to Assen.”

David Salom: “It was hard in these two races and we had some problems earlier in the weekend because we had to try out some electronic parts in practice. In the first race it was hard because I did not have the pace I wanted. In the second race was easy in one way because the set-up was better but it was more difficult because I could not get away from Leon Camier. He ran wide on the last lap and then Niccolo Canepa was very near me, but I held on to score a top ten. I am happy for the team because they all worked very hard and the KRT full Superbike riders had a great day too.”
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Re: Double win for Sykes at Aragon.!

Postby Six Addict » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:57 pm

:kuda:
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby robracer » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:04 pm

He is on his game for sure 8)
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Baddie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:40 pm

Just finished watching it....Bloody kawa's in both classes came home strong.

Loved it that much I brought one... :kuda:

Bloody spewin forgotten to put MotoGp tips in...but I'm guessing not many would have picked that top 5.
http://superbikesource.com.au/
For aftermarket racing products, from Annitori Quickshifters to Race fairings.

http://tarmactalk.com/forum/forum.php
Baddie
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby robracer » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:43 pm

Tips are looking pretty sad for another week :lol:
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby laidback » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:57 pm

Don't know I survived without Foxtel for so long. :? :?

Full night of WSBK and then Moto3, 2 and GP.
Me and Ralfie went to bed a about 6 this morning. hehehe :shock: :shock:
Roady - ZRX1200R
Tracky - ZX9R F1 Team Jerry Atric

I've reached the age where 'happy hour' is a nap.
laidback
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby MAXUMIS » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:40 pm

That's great news , very happy to hear about this .
life starts at 200 kph!
MAXUMIS
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:05 pm

laidback wrote:.....Don't know I survived without Foxtel for so long. :? :?

Full night of WSBK and then Moto3, 2 and GP.
Me and Ralfie went to bed a about 6 this morning. hehehe :shock: :shock:......

I just don't get what punters issues with Foxtel are. Sure there are some ads - but like you say, complete coverage of all classes at MotoGP and the WSB on Sunday night - it was awesome. What are the alternatives ? dodgy internet streaming with virus's and sucking up all your download quota - and the quality of the streaming is pretty piss-poor from what I understand. Plus commentary in SpanItalGreek or whatever ?? fuck that.

Plus Foxtel has a 24/7 AFL channel and a Collingwood show - its win-win-win-win :kuda: :kuda: (oh yeh Speed also had Rd 1 of the TON Cup at Wakefield last weekend - it was great to watch as well. You don't get that with dodgy streaming....

Sensational racing from TS - great to watch and the 2nd leg was fantastic as well. Baz knows how to be a team player.

Roll on another WSBK title this year !!

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby greenmeanie » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:44 am

Great weekend for the Big K @ Aragon. :kuda:

Speed Channel coverage is great with superpole qualifying(SBK) + MotoGP qualifying + FP sessions in MotoGP as well. :cheesy: :supz:
Glenn
2009 ZX10R
greenmeanie
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Queensland

Return to Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing