Kawasaki world champions again

Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing

Kawasaki world champions again

Postby Jonnymac » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:58 pm

Great to see team green winning the world championship again after such a long time.

Helps make up for last years farce of losing by 1/2 a point!!!!

Whoop whoop well done sykesy!!!
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: Victoria

Re: Kawasaki world champions again

Postby Wattie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:18 am

Yep, awesome!!
Well done Tom
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby paulsj » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:53 am

Yeah team green back on top after 20 years! Awesome work by Sykesy on the green machine been loving watching him ride! Now where can I get a at shirt or stubby holder STAT!
paulsj
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R

Postby JimZXR » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:56 am

+1 on the t-shirt idea!

Haven't watched the second race yet so no idea if he's done some ornate celebration or, being a Yorkshire man, just sat back and quietly absorbed it all?!?
Road, Sky, Road, Sky, Road..... Ambulance

1993 ZXR750 Track Bike
1994 ZXR750 Ongoing project
JimZXR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZXR750

Postby Wattie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:07 am

Shirt run for sure!
We can ou Matt Walters on the back too.
We need to list the championships we've won this year
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Jonnymac » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:14 am

Wattie wrote:Shirt run for sure!
We can ou Matt Walters on the back too.
We need to list the championships we've won this year

Yep for sure
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby MadKaw » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:40 pm

Sykes The SBK World Champion For Kawasaki
WSBK, Jerez, Spain, 20 October 2013
Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) took his first Superbike World Championship title today as the first Kawasaki rider to take the top prize in production-based racing since Scott Russell in 1993.
Sykes The SBK World Champion For Kawasaki
Sykes knew that at the test track of most of his rivals he would have his work cut out to win but he also knew that he did not have to take race victories to take the championship title.

In race one Tom rode to a solid third place and in doing so he took a large enough advantage to make his championship win safe. He received his trophy for the title win after this race but he still had a second 21-lap race, in warm conditions, to complete.

Tom gathered his concentration and pushed on to lead 13-laps of the second race and finished second in the race, with a final championship advantage of 23 points. Tom also took the new lap record at Jerez today with a 1’41.691 in race two. Sykes also led for 255 laps over the whole season, more than twice the total of the next best rider.

The championship win was particularly sweet for the entire Kawasaki Racing Team as they missed out on the title with Tom by only half a point in 2012. In the 2013 season Tom has scored nine race wins, 18 podiums of all kinds, eight pole positions and 13 fastest laps.

Although Loris Baz (Kawasaki Racing Team) did not race today he finished the championship in 8th place.

Mark Aitchison (Kawasaki Team Pedercini) made great improvements at this round, finishing tenth in race one and ninth in race two, for 18th in the championship.

Kawasaki Team Pedercini rider Federico Sandi was 16h in race one but fell from contention early in race two, rejoining shortly afterwards to finish 15th. He ended his season 17th overall.

Jeremy Guarnoni (MRS Kawasaki) led a four rider Kawasaki sweep of the Superstock 1000 FIM Cup race at Jerez, winning by 4.315 seconds from Pedercini Kawasaki rider Leandro Mercado, with Team MRS Kawasaki rider Romain Lanusse third. This was Kawasaki's third win in succession and placed Jeremy third in the final championship standings, with Mercado fourth overall. Pedercini Kawasaki rider Alessandro Andreozzi was fourth in the Jerez race.

Tom Sykes: “Words cannot describe how I feel. I am very level headed but since Magny Cours there are moments where my mind started dreaming. When I was dreaming I had goose bumps and it was magical to even dream I could be world champion. But that was maybe 2% of what I am feeling now after winning the title. In race two it was my intention to do well, even though it would be difficult to top race one as all my energy had kind of gone after the first one. I hoped to be closer to the front but I did not expect to win. I think this was just Eugene’s race, although my Ninja ZX-10R was working very well. All things considered I have to be very happy today. World Champion, podium in the races and it has been an absolute pleasure to race with these guys this year. It was good for the championship that it got decided at the final round again, especially at this beautiful circuit, with these great fans. My team is mostly Spanish so it is a home round for them. The championship win has not fully sunk in yet but it will do soon, I’m sure.”
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Frank » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:46 pm

So will there be a new banner for next year at the WSBK?

And do we have to buy Tom a beer or two now? ;)
GO THE BLUES
Life time member of PETA:-
PEOPLE for the EATING of TASTY ANIMALS
Member of SRT
1998 Kawasaki ZX9R Track Bike
2014 Nissan Navara
Frank
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX9R

Postby greenmeanie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:38 pm

Great result for the Big K & Tom Sykes ! :D :kuda:
Lets hope we don't have to wait another 20 years for the next world title. :)
Glenn
2009 ZX10R
greenmeanie
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Queensland

Postby tim » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Awesome! :D

Ok I love riding motorbikes but don't watch or follow racing so what's going on here how come Kawasaki has won this? How much of this win is attributed to Kawasaki pulling out of moto gp and therefore having more money and attention to throw at WSBK? How much attributed to the development of the new ZX10R? How much to Sykes riding ability? How much to the team?
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kwakked Up » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:56 pm

:kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda:
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Return to Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing