Kawasaki WSBK - Moscow.!

Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing

Kawasaki WSBK - Moscow.!

Postby MadKaw » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:10 am

Sykes Third Fastest In Testing At Moscow Raceway
Newsflash, 22 August 2012
A one-day official test at the all-new Moscow Raceway in Russia for Tom Sykes and his fellow Kawasaki Racing Team rider Loris Baz gave each of them the chance to make preparations for race weekend Sykes left the tests happy with the work done to match his Ninja ZX-10R machine to a sometimes tricky circuit design and he ended up third fastest, despite concentrating more on full race set-up than going for a quick single lap time. Like the rest of his peers he felt that the circuit was very tight and twisty in some of the early sections, then opens out in some others.

Baz took more time to get accustomed to this new circuit, in what is the young French rider’s rookie SBK season, but the Silverstone race winner is confident that he will improve his outright pace during race weekend, now that his crew have good data to work with. Baz ended up 19th today.

Loris also made use of the extra day of testing to try out some other set-up options, which may help him in the run in to the finale of the championship, in France in October.

The track surface along the 3.931km Moscow circuit improved as the SBK and WSS riders made more and more laps during two sessions for each class, although the second SBK session was interrupted for a time, due to an oil spill.

David Salom (Kawasaki Team Pedercini) was 17th in the test rankings, less than 1.5 seconds from the fastest rider, Carlos Checa.

Tom Sykes: “Overall, a positive day for myself and Kawasaki on a new track for everybody. We did a lot of work on the hard tyre and then when we put the softer tyre in we were surprised that we were getting good life out of it. We did make a number of small changes today, pretty much always in a positive direction, and big thanks to all my boys in the team. We have had a productive test. We have some things to do for the weekend but really not many, because today turned out well. We put a lot of laps in and hopefully that should make things more relaxed for race weekend itself.”

Loris Baz: “We just had a few issues this morning. The track is very nice, very technical and everything, but just a bit too slow. I love fast tracks so it is not my favourite. But we are riding at this track so we have to work with that. The lap times are really close and we tried a different set-up this afternoon, just to test some options we have been thinking about. I am more confident than the position we find ourselves in on the track today. Our general pace is good but we still have something to do on pure lap times for one fast lap.”

---
Sofuoglu And Morais In The Testing Mix at Moscow Raceway
Newsflash, 22 August 2012
A strong Kawasaki representation in a one-day test at the Moscow Raceway circuit was headed by championship leader Kenan Sofuoglu (Kawasaki Lorenzini), who set the fourth fastest time overall. Kenan’s team-mate Sheridan Morais was a strong sixth in the combined session, finding improvements in the afternoon session to push himself upwards in what were perfect weather conditions. The track cleaned up as the day went on and the lap times tumbled as the riders got used to the new – and often tricky – racetrack and a grippier racing line developed.

As always, and particularly at a test session and not a race weekend, Sofuoglu’s entire focus was to work on a real race set-up and he feels confident that he already has a bike ready to make only small adjustments to when race weekend starts in a couple of days.

Other Kawasaki riders were also enjoying their track time at the new circuit, with Fabien Foret (Kawasaki Intermoto Step) seventh fastest and Dan Linfoot (MSD R-N Racing Team India Kawasaki) 15th from 35 riders.

Kenan Sofuoglu: “The test was not too bad. In the afternoon I ended up only 0.4 seconds slower than the fastest one, which was OK because I am not normally a one lap rider. I think I have reached my goal already - not in position but meaning that my bike is good enough to fight in a race with right now. The track is a little bit tricky in some parts and on some corners you really do not see where you are going. But I think many riders will like the track because you have fun when you ride on this track. It is a little bit tight in some parts but our bike is very good so now we just have to wait for the weekend to begin.”

Sheridan Morais: “The new circuit is very good and after a tighter, slower, beginning it has some fast parts. In the very slow corners our bike is working better right now. To improve from the morning session to the afternoon session we made a change with the electronics and suspension settings. This place is OK for me because I like the circuit. For Friday morning I hope it will all be working well from the very first practice session.”
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Re: Kawasaki WSBK - Moscow.!

Postby MadKaw » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:01 am

Sykes Second After Intense Superpole In Russia
WSBK, Moscow, Russia, 25 August 2012
Tom Sykes placed himself second in Superpole at the all-new Moscow raceway after working his way to a strong race set-up in qualifying. Loris Baz overcame two falls to earn a third row start. The 3.931km Moscow Raceway proved a tough test for many riders in practice and qualifying but despite the tight and twisty nature of the racetrack in some areas Sykes and his Kawasaki Racing Team Ninja ZX-10R were able to compete for the Tissot-Superpole win right to the end.

Sykes is now confident that, weather conditions permitting, he will start each 25-lap Superbike World Championship ready to compete for podium places.

KRT rider Loris Baz had some difficult times during practice after two falls, but great work from his team, in the new era of single bike rules where bike have to be repaired quickly, gave him the chance to compete for grid places in Superpole and he finished up ninth overall. Two top ten finishes or better are in the sights of Silverstone race winner Baz on raceday.

Kawasaki runners Team Pedercini fielded three riders at Moscow Raceway, with regular runner David Salom into Superpole and finally 16th on the grid and with new riders Alex Lundh and David McFadden 20th and 21st respectively.

Tom Sykes: “I am quite happy to be second in Superpole because this circuit has proven to be quite generous towards the vee configuration engines here. But, having said that Kawasaki have done a fantastic job. We have managed to build and keep building pace all week. For the races tomorrow we should be quite consistent. I am happy with my race package so it was just unfortunate today that the qualifying tyre gave us some small issues, so I had no answers for Carlos. We got a good reception at the Paddock Show and it is nice to have a fan base over here in Russia, so let’s hope we can put on a good show tomorrow. I think the circuit is showing that it should give close and competitive racing.”

Loris Baz: “The last corner section has been our biggest problems from the beginning of the weekend. I lost three tenths there from the beginning. I am just trying to brake later but we have found a few things. I am really happy to be ninth on the grid after the beginning of the weekend we had. I lost nearly one and a half seconds after the crash of this morning. If I can stay in the top ten for each race that would be really good. I want to thank all the mechanics because they have had to make up two bikes since the beginning of the weekend.”

---
Sofuoglu Misses Pole By A Fraction
WSS, Moscow, Russia, 25 August 2012
Kenan Sofuoglu (Kawasaki Lorenzini) came close to securing pole at the Moscow Raceway but now starts Sunday’s 22-lap race in second place, with his team-mate Sheridan Morais fifth on his Ninja ZX-6R. Sofuoglu, as usual, concentrated mostly on getting a good race set-up and tyre option for raceday, but his pure pace took him to within 0.031 seconds of pole man Jules Cluzel.

Kenan enters raceday at the tenth round of the championship with a 14 point lead to defend, but as always intends to use attack as the best form of defence, and go for his third race win of 2012.

Despite still not finding a perfect front end race set-up Morais has been on a good pace almost throughout this weekend and got a reward of the best spot on the second row as he goes for more podium glory on raceday.

Fabien Foret (Kawasaki Intermoto Step) put in a good push to go sixth and start from the second row. Twice a race winner this year already Fabien is expected to play a major part at the front on raceday.

Romain Lanusse (Kawasaki Intermoto Step) went 15th in the qualifying ranking, good enough for a fourth row start. Joshua Day (GoEleven Kawasaki) placed 17th on the grid for a start off row five, and Dan Linfoot (MSD R-N Racing Team India Kawasaki) was 23rd from 35 riders. His team-mate Florian Marino fell hard and lost his chance to improve on a final qualifying position of 27th.

Kenan Sofuoglu: “I am very happy for the position on the front row as usual but I am a little disappointed because I lost the chance of a pole position start because right at the end Jules Cluzel, in the last minute, went just a little faster. I am satisfied with my set-up with the motorcycle. It should be a good race tomorrow but after half race distance the tyres will probably drop a little for everyone. So after a discussion with our technicians we will try an alternative race set-up solution and make a final tyre choice in the race.”

Sheridan Morais: “We have had a little problem with the front fork set-up and the front tyre, because after only a few laps the tyre performance drops off. I also have some chatter. I am sure, after my technicians have examined the data, that tomorrow we can resolve this problem completely with another set-up solution. The engine and rear set-up are good, working well.”
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MadKaw » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:01 am

Brilliant Victory For Sykes As Championship Fight Tightens Up
WSBK, Moscow, Russia, 26 August 2012
Kawasaki Racing Team rider Tom Sykes won the first ever SBK race to be held in Russia by over eight seconds after 25-laps of the Moscow Raceway. Loris Baz had a weekend best of ninth in race 2. Sykes, unusually, had not started from pole, but despite the first race being declared wet and one or two riders opting for wet or intermediate tyres, the team’s tyre choice a soft slick front and harder rear worked perfectly and Tom led from start to finish, scoring full points. This was Tom’s second race win of 2012, but the first one to go full race distance in dry conditions. The race had been declared wet at the start but a dry line was evident along the 3.931km circuit, allowing Tom to push hard from the start.

Sykes finished race two second, having led it for 14 laps, but eventual winner and new championship leader Marco Melandri headed off Tom by only 0.9756 seconds. Tom had been engrossed in a battle to keep other riders behind and leave a margin to attack Melandri near the end, but in missing his pit signals he ran out of time for a final attack. His 45 points from this round mean he has narrowed the gap to the top rider, now Melandri, to 41 points with six individual races left, including the scene of his first ever win for KRT in this championship last year, the Nürburgring.

Loris Baz was unfortunate to find his rear tyre suffer a suspected puncture after he ran off track, finishing 11th. In race two he recovered from some crashes and a subsequent lack of track time in practice to post a ninth place finish, just losing out in a rider-to-rider battle with Ayrton Badovini.

Kawasaki Team Pedercini rider David Salom was an impressive tenth in race one, Alexander Lundh 14th and David McFadden 16th. In race two Salom was 13th and Lundh 14th, with McFadden crashing out.

Tom Sykes: “This race win was better than the Monza one as we got a little bit more of a reward in points terms. I did a lot of work on tyres yesterday and we went a slightly different way from most people in race one. We worked a lot on this yesterday and that work paid off today. The bike felt great. I had a little bit of pressure on at half race distance but I was trying to save the tyre a little bit. When the gap got down to three seconds I pushed on a little more and it seemed to work. To lead start-to-finish and take the win over full race distance is very rewarding. We had a good margin at the end and it was a nice race. Quite a long race, to be honest, and it is quite a physical circuit. The lap is short but more concentration and physical input in needed compared to some other circuits. Overall we should be very satisfied. Race one was great with maximum points and race two gave us another 20 points in the bag. I got a little bit carried away battling with Eugene behind me in race two and in trying to save my tyre I did not read the pit signals. When I looked there were two laps remaining and I wanted to push on and try to pressure Marco in the last few laps. I felt I had a good package today and could have done it, but when you are riding with guys of Marco’s standard you cannot leave things to the last minute. But, realistically, we are happy. A first and second, still third overall and the gap at the front tightening up. There are still a lot of points to play for.”

Loris Baz: “In race one I was there just waiting on the track to dry because in those conditions there is only one line. I tried to pass one rider but another rider tried to pass me in turn 11 and he crashed and I ran wide, so think we lost some pressure in the rear tyre after that. I was sliding all around. Race two was not so bad but I could not follow any pace any higher than my own. I had three or four very hard laps where I could not have the same pace as Leon Camier and Ayrton Badovini. I always know that we can take back some difference later on and I tried hard to pass Badovini but he always passed me back. I am happy to be ninth after all we had this weekend. It did not start very well but it ended up with two finishes in the points and one top ten.”

---

Kenan Extends His Championship Lead In Fine Winning Style
WSS, Moscow, Russia, 26 August 2012
Kenan Sofuoglu (Kawasaki Lorenzini) took his Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R to a clear race win at the Moscow Raceway and in doing so extended his championship lead. His team-mate Sheridan Morais was fourth. This was Kenan’s third race win of the 2012 season, his sixth podium and these results have taken him 33 points ahead of the new second place rider, Jules Cluzel, whom he beat by 5.022 seconds in today’s 22-lap race. Sofuoglu and Cluzel headed the field almost all race long, with another championship challenger Sam Lowes jump starting, taking a ride-through penalty and then finishing 12th. Lowes is now two points behind Cluzel.

Morais was in great form once he got into his stride, his strong bike set-up and overall performance allowing him to claw back some places he lost in the early laps. Fourth was Sheridan’s second best finish of the year, just one place from his podium result of third at Motorland Aragon in July.

Fabien Foret (Kawasaki Intermoto Step) was sixth today and is in fourth place overall, ten points behind Lowes and 45 from Sofuoglu.

MSD R-N Racing Team India Kawasaki rider Florian Marino was a battling 14th after suffering a heavy fall in practice for this round and Dan Linfoot, his team-mate, was one place out of the points in 16th.

Romain Lanusse (Kawasaki Intermoto Step) was luckless today in falling, as was Joshua Day (GoEleven Kawasaki). Lanusse is 16th overall, Day 22nd.

Kenan Sofuoglu: “I feel pretty good right now because in the past few races I have had a pretty big problem with my knee but in the end today I won the race. We had a nice race here and it was good to win at this track. I am really enjoying it and I hope to race here more often because the track is really nice for a motorcycle and I have loved it since the first lap. We did a nice race and I am very happy with my team and my bike, with everything. I knew Cluzel would be behind me because his pace is always good in the race, but I knew my bike was good and I think we had a little advantage. In the championship it looks like Cluzel may be the only one to fight with me because he is the only one constant at the moment. But it is nice to have strong competition.”

Sheridan Morais: “A good race for us. My start was not bad, a good start actually, but in the first few laps I just rode into a few people and made a lot of mistakes, so I lost a lot of time. By the time I was up into - I think eighth or ninth place - the front guys were just gone. I knew I had my work cut out there but I pushed and pushed to try and get a podium but I just did not have enough. A podium was just too far away but Leonov rode really well. I caught him really quick but he was able to hold a good pace and well done to Kenan up front as well. I am happy with my weekend considering that I thought I was going to be bit tired after being sick for a while now. I was really happy with my bike and my team. In the race me Kenan and only a couple of other guys’ front tyres looked quite good, but most of the other guys’ tyres were worn, so our team did a good job with the set-up.”
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Wattie » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:10 am

its the headlights... :lol:
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kermit » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:28 pm

Bit late, watched the replay; wished I watched this instead of GP!

Good effort and result by sykes.

Biaggi, that shit on haslam what the!
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Jonnymac » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:08 am

blackster wrote:Bit late, watched the replay; wished I watched this instead of GP!

Good effort and result by sykes.

Biaggi, that shit on haslam what the!

Stuff the gp (unfortunately) it's useless and boring, sure I still watch it but if the supers are on at the same time there's no decision it's supers all the way
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Victoria

Postby Kermit » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:04 am

I wouldnt give up watching moto 2 & 3, although 2013+ spaniard gp doesn't inspire alot of motivation to watch. Although I'd still watch to see whether marquez has what it takes to beat his sisters.

As far as SBK at moscow, being a new track kinda made it an even playing field. At the end of both races, there was alot more tyre left in race 2, than race 1 on sykes bike. Perhaps if syke's pushed as hard as he did in race 2 like he did in race 1, he would of came up with the double.

Does that the bmw have a bit more legs then the zx down the straight? From what I can see that's where melandri seems to make up time and pass the zx.
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Return to Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing