Kawasaki WSBK - Nurburgring. Yes, a win...

Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing

Kawasaki WSBK - Nurburgring. Yes, a win...

Postby MadKaw » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Sykes Takes First WSBK Race Win On Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R!
WSBK, Nürburgring, Germany, 4 September 2011
Having qualified sixth at the Nürburgring Tom Sykes secured a brilliant debut win for the latest Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R and himself in a wet race two, finally red-flagged after 13 soaking laps. This was Kawasaki’s first WSBK race win since 2006, when Chris Walker took full points at Assen. This was also Tom’s first career WSBK race win and his success in Germany puts him 11th overall in the championship, just one point from the top ten.

Tom had a dramatic day all round, running well in the early laps of a dry race one before slipping back to 11th as he lost rear grip. His right ankle was still not feeling 100% back to normal after his big Silverstone crash, but in a wet race two he rode with composure and controlled aggression in ever-changing track conditions, capitalising when previous race leader Noriyuki Haga fell from the lead. Sykes also repelled occasional pressure from second place finisher Sylvain Guintoli, to win by four seconds.

Joan Lascorz had a strong race one on his Ninja ZX-10R, going seventh after starting from the fourth row as he pulled through the pack in impressive fashion. He did not have the same kind of feel in the rain as Tom in race two and finished 11th. He is 13th in the championship, only three points behind Sykes.

Pedercini Team rider Mark Aitchison was 12th in race one then a faller in race two, after running in high positions for much of the time. His team-mate Roberto Rolfo secured points in each race; 13th in race one then 14th in race two.

Tom Sykes: “To get a first World Superbike win under my belt is fantastic, also with the new Kawasaki. Everybody in the team knows every time I put my leg over the bike it is all or nothing; that is the way I ride, and fortunately today that commitment paid off in race two. I got a gap behind me in the worst conditions but as the track had less water on it for a time, unfortunately our times seemed to tail off and I came under pressure from Sylvain. But as the standing water increased again we found our pace. In race one everything went to plan at the start but both the wrong tyre choice and my physical condition did not help, so when it started raining I had a bit of a grin to myself. We changed the bike quite a lot from the last time in Misano when we got pole position so obviously it was a little bit of a gamble in wet conditions. The guys gave me a great package today.”

Joan Lascorz: “Race one was not so bad, especially given our starting position. I made good pace to come forward. I chose the soft tyre options in race one and I was going to change the some things on the bike for the second race but it proved to be wet anyway. In race two it was difficult in the wet conditions but I am happy for Tom and Kawasaki as this was the best result for the team.”

--

Seventh And Eighth For Parkes And Salom As Roccoli Goes Top Five
WSS, Nürburgring, Germany, 4 September 2011
David Salom and Broc Parkes each had to ride hard to stay in the top ten points scoring places today as Lorenzini by Leoni Kawasaki rider Massimo Roccoli scored a top five on his Ninja ZX-6R. The Nürburgring’s peculiarities proved difficult to match the official machines of Parkes and Salom to, with supported rider Roccoli finding a better race-day set-up after qualifying sixth on the grid. The race, held over 19 laps, was won by championship leader Chaz Davies.

Salom’s eighth place in the race sees him maintain his second position overall, with Parkes fourth, only eight points behind his team-mate. Roccoli is ninth, on the same 62 point total as the two riders in front of him in the official rankings.

Vittorio Iannuzzo (Lorenzini by Leoni Kawasaki) was 12th today, a good result in a race with 31 starters and 26 finishers. Unlike the second Superbike race, the track was dry for the Supersport contest.

Broc Parkes: “We struggled a little but and we didn’t seem to have the usual engine performance here for some reason, from Friday on, and I struggled on the exit of some corners. I am not sure why. I did not have the grip I wanted in the race and I was sliding quite a bit. The four riders that I was with proved to be my race as the guys up ahead were too far away, so I just tried to win my race and did that at the end. I was seventh and this is not where we want to be. I tried my best and that is where we were today.”

David Salom: “It has been difficult all weekend, with the front suspension set-up, and the bike is not wanting to enter the corner easily. When we push it brings us chatter. It was not possible to ride faster and really difficult to overtake. Broc was maybe the same but Roccoli was quite fast here so we know the Kawasaki can be good at this track. In the championship I am second but in Imola it is necessary to aim for the top places.”

Massimo Roccoli: “This was a very important result for us and now it is also important to carry on scoring well right to the end of the season. I was really having to work hard at the end of the race when my tyres were worn but we made a good result. We are on the same points as the riders in front so now I will try to move up the championship standings, starting at Imola.”
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Re: Kawasaki WSBK - Nurburgring. Yes, a win...

Postby Six Addict » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:56 pm

its was absolutely soaking during race 2!! was amazing to watch :kuda: lucky the marshalls didnt flag it when laverty and melandri wanted to... haga was still leading then...

its a shame the win cam after kawasaki announced paul bird wont be running the team next year, AND kawasaki wont sign tom sykes (he was personally signed by paul bird) :roll:
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati
State: New South Wales

Postby Mstevo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:43 pm

on yar Dave so you got my message ;-) are you still recovering from the weekend or the road trip home lol
Yamasaki/Kawaha owner... after my bike was raped overnight in the garage at PI by those big green monsters ;-)
Mstevo
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Yamaha
State: ACT

Postby philbo » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:01 pm

:kuda: :kuda:
soooooooooooooo who is paying for the shout then??? :lol: :lol:
KEEPIN'IT REAL ON THE WESS SIDE

DONT LET FEAR HOLD YOU BACK

Storm-010 white zx6r
philbo
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: Western Australia

Return to Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing