Vermeulen returns at Assen.

Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing

Vermeulen returns at Assen.

Postby MadKaw » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:16 am

Second Home Venue Ready To Welcome Back Vermeulen
Newsflash, 11 April 2011
There are no prizes for guessing that the name Vermeulen is originally from the Netherlands, but just how close are Chris’s ties with the country that is about to host his full comeback to racing? See Chris Vermeulen with his Aussie beach shorts, sandals and sunglasses on and he is every inch the Queenslander, ready to go play in the warm waters that lap the eastern coast of Australia.
But dig one level below the surface and Chris’s Dutch heritage is right there, a fact that has increasing relevance as both he and the whole Kawasaki Racing Team crew begin their preparations to head to Assen for the third round of the Superbike World Championship on April 17.
As Chris explains, his connections to ‘the old country’ may be in the past but it is a living past. “My paternal grandparents came over to Australia, I guess just after the war, in the late 1940s or early ‘50s. They were born in Holland. My granddad was a third generation baker and they were based not so far from Amsterdam, just a little towards the south of the city. They moved out to Australia with four kids, and my dad was born in Australia. Eventually they had nine kids so it was a big family! My dad is a baker in Australia, which means he is the fourth generation, but I said that is kind of where it stops!”
For most European immigrants the movement to somewhere as far-flung as Australia means maintaining links with the old country by long distance communication only, but for the Vermeulens, the link was maintained in a very hands-on way. “My dad went back out to Holland, the whole family did, when he was about 12. They did a year and a half back there. My Dad did some schooling, and stayed with the family. It was sort of a long holiday back in the Netherlands before heading back to Australia.”
Now, at least once a year Chris gets to go back to what many consider to be a university course for any racer who fancies himself as a champion - the Circuit van Drenthe in Assen.
In World Superbike guise Chris has got enviable qualifications at Assen already, as he himself explains. “I did four previous races in WSBK at Assen, got three wins and a fourth, “ said Chris. “That was at the older and longer track, which was my just about my favourite place in the world. It is still like a second home for me at Assen and I get a lot of following there from other Vermeulens. Cousins of my Dad, and other relatives, so it is always good to go there.”
The lineage back to the Netherlands for Chris is so close in fact that under current soccer qualification rules Vermeulen could probably be selected to wear the famous orange strip of The Netherlands national football team… But do not hold your breath waiting, as Chris explains. “If you saw me with a soccer ball I do not think The Netherlands would want me to play! They also play cricket in the Netherlands now and they did quite well in the recent Cricket World Cup, but I am pretty hopeless at that too. Just as well I can ride a motorbike because I cannot do much else, I think.”
Everybody knows that what Chris may lack in skill at ball games he can more than make up for in bike racing. Only injury and a long period of recovery have held up Vermeulen’s most recent racing exploits for KRT, but at Assen he is set for a full weekend of racing, and he could not be racing at a better venue than his second ‘home’ circuit.
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Re: Vermeulen returns at Assen.

Postby Six Addict » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:32 am

:lol:
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby GPZ_Jim » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:53 pm

hopefully his knee has sufficently improved to allow more than a few laps in prac eh?
GPZ_Jim
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: GPz500

Postby s man » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:13 pm

I hate to think this, but I think Chris will struggle for the rest of year..He has given away way to much track time.. :cry:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000

Postby fezzick » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:43 am

I do agree, unfortunately. Knee injuries are worrying things, far more complex and hard to deal with than a straight bone break. That's why Rossi and de Puniet were able to get back so quickly and Chris has struggled. I hope he does get back to full fitness He's a brilliant rider and a super person.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left. Phil
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby EDU » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:11 pm

I have a bad knee and it plays up sometime but it never really bothered me on the bike. Last Sunday I could barely walk up and down the stair, I literally had to stop and take a break after 5-6 steps. Come Monday I have CSS and it didn't bother me ONCE when I was on the bike. Off the bike though... :x
EDU
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R

Postby fezzick » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:59 pm

I shattered my kneecap in an accident last October. They've only just taken the screws and wire out of it last week and I look like being faced with another few weeks of pain before I can start physio on it again. Like I say, knee injuries suck.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left. Phil
www.halfofmylife.com
fezzick
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Lone Wolf » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:56 am

Shattered mine too, 6 months to return to full capacity
"Women are temperamental... half temper, half mental."

http://www.corporateboxgym.com.au