Back to the Road Stage 1

Show us your happy snaps here

Back to the Road Stage 1

Postby El Trisco » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:20 pm

So I recently (Early June) bought a 95 ZXR750 which had been garaged for over 2 years and needed a little work before being ready for the road.
To sum up the work it needed crack repairs on all sections of the fairing and the left side had been smashed so needed replacing. The faring stay/mirror bracket was bent and there were missing rubbers. The front indicators were missing along with the mounts. And there was a fuel starvation issue.

So after replacing and re-routing the fuel pipes I turned my attention to cosmetics.

I couldn't decide whether to paint the entire bike or just the replacement fairing, but decided to do what was needed to get it on the road first so just did the side fairing. First time with a paint gun, could have gone better but also worse!

Then after waiting 2 weeks for a set of mini indicators and blanking plate to arrive from Europe (during which time I found them available here in Aus) I was able to finish Stage 1, which turned out to be a mini-epic after my new indicators wouldn't flash. Luckily I had some others which did so bolted those on for now.

She sailed through her safety certificate last week and I was finally able to get out for a ride or three.
I have since found a few issues though. During my 3rd ride out in which I tried some proper speed and cornering the front brake started biting to the point when I changed up a gear I lost a lot of speed. Then the front brakes went completely just as I headed towards a corner. Fortunately nothing coming the other way as I slowed enough with the rear brake and gears to only drift to the outer edge of the road. Then just as quickly the brakes were back again. The right calliper is still biting though and the disc is hot after a short ride where the left isn't. I've also just noticed that there's a larger gap in the right side between the fork and the hub compared to the left so not sure if that is by design or not sitting correctly. But I'll be looking at that later. If anyone happens to know the answer to that then I'd obviously be grateful to hear.

All in all it's gone pretty well and I'm planning on riding it for a couple of months before stripping all the fairings off and painting them & the tank, along with touching up the frame and fittings. I may even try to fit my nice new indicators.
El Trisco

Bike: ZXR750
State: Queensland

Re: Back to the Road Stage 1

Postby JimZXR » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Looking good mate!

The brake issues could be a call for a good flush, clean up or rebuild.

Will take a look at my L1 and measure up the gap but it should be even!
Road, Sky, Road, Sky, Road..... Ambulance

1993 ZXR750 Track Bike
1994 ZXR750 Ongoing project
JimZXR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

State: New South Wales

Postby El Trisco » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:25 am

Thanks mate. I had another look last night and I *think* the gap is even but just looks different because of the different parts used.
I flushed the brakes as well so will see how it goes. Next stop will be a caliper rebuild I guess.
El Trisco

State: Queensland

Postby Boags85 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:15 pm

El Trisco wrote:Thanks mate. I had another look last night and I *think* the gap is even but just looks different because of the different parts used.
I flushed the brakes as well so will see how it goes. Next stop will be a caliper rebuild I guess.
Looks good mate great bikes
Boags85

State: South Australia

Return to Show Off Your Ride & Photo Comp