Whale's Harris

Show us your happy snaps here

Whale's Harris

Postby whale » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:07 pm

The picture of my Harris in my intro post drew some comment so I thought I'd give a bit of history on it

It is a 1980 Harris Magnum 1 frame and is running a pretty stock 1981 GSX 1100 motor.

I bought it a couple of years ago from a guy I know who had been racing it in BEARS in Sydney. He had lunched a big bore motor, had installed a fresh one but then pushed it to the back of his shed where it languished.

When I got it it was basically a roller, it had been converted to 17's and was running an early ZX9 front end and wheels. It had no seat unit or lights, indicators, loom etc.

Here it is with its original running gear getting the TZ seat unit fitted. Was just a tad bulky so we cut it down a little

Registration was a challenge, it had apparently been registered in QLD once but I could find no record of it. In the end I had to get creative and it is running QLD single seat rego as a modified GSX1100

Her's a pic with the ZX9 front and some MX bars from when I first got it on the road

The bars were all wrong so I went the drag bar route

I'm not into show bikes, I own bikes to ride them so I never get too over the top with appearance. Here I get creative in the shed, fueled by alcohol and drugs

The 9 front end was very tired, the bike used to terrify me at speed, it had to go. Got replaced with an 08 blade USD jobbie,I fitted them with ohlins springs to suit my lardy disposition. They completely transformed it, it tracks and steers beautifully now and can carve with the best of them. Still not for the faint hearted though, you have to be switched on to ride it hard, it is very very short in the wheelbase

A few pics from different angles

Crossing the Clarence at Maclean

Where it lives with the ZRX

Still plenty to do on it.

The 40mm flat slides are way too big for the standard motor and they leak like 40 bastards. Couple of options, I could scale down to 36's or install the 1170 pistons and block that came with the original purchase.

No rush.
whale

Bike: ZX12R
State: New South Wales

Re: Whale's Harris

Postby robracer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:38 pm

Was that Tex's Harris? I used to race with him when he was running one in Bears 8)
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby whale » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:58 pm

I bought it from Ian Buckley
whale

Bike: ZX12R

Postby robracer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:04 pm

mmmmm name rings a bell
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:22 pm

robracer wrote:Was that Tex's Harris? I used to race with him when he was running one in Bears 8)

Tex raced in Bears with a Motoplast-framed gixxer mate - I remember it well :lol:

it is still sitting out the back of his shop in Minchinbury gathering dust.....

Nice story Whale - I especially like the bit about doing your work fuelled by alcohol and drugs, and having a lardy disposition. You will go far in this place buddy !! :kuda:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby born green » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:26 pm

nice piks mate, there allways work in progess i guess :)
be cool to ride around on, something different, and u will never park beside another one.
nice job.
96 ZX7R roady
07 ZX10R tracky. to many mods to list here!
95 tickford XR6,
SO MANY KAWASAKI'S SO LITTLE TIME
born green
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Return to Show Off Your Ride & Photo Comp