Archie, My 1990 Lucky Strike RGV250 VJ21

Show us your happy snaps here

Re: Archie, My 1990 Lucky Strike RGV250 VJ21

Postby GPZ_Jim » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:18 pm

cor!!! looks like you did really well :D I think the lovely 2 stroke aroma allows his non kwacka-ness to be forgiven :D :kuda:
GPZ_Jim
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: GPz500
State: New South Wales

Postby MIZ RX3 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:16 pm

Heres the news discs fitted!! - New rim stripes too, but don't look too close - they're not real straight :p

Sorry it's a shitty pic - there's not much room in the garage!!

I told you so, and that's still not including 2 posties and a mountain of parts!!!!

Archie was a hit with friends of ours' Son :D

Pink on the outside, but still green on the inside!
MIZ RX3
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Ninja 250
State: ACT

Postby MIZ RX3 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:59 pm

Rrandom update: I actually took it for a run on Monday just past. I'd ridden ti around the block twice, but no further with the dodgy disc!

Result: OMG OMG OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGMOMGOMGOMGOGMOGMOGMGOMGOMGOGMGMGMGMGGGGGGGGGG!!!

I love it. apart from everything being within reach (life sux when you're a midget) it rides really well now its almost run in.

Threw it on the dyno @ MotoGarage - 50poines!

*trying to resize pic of dyno sheet*
MIZ RX3
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby MIZ RX3 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ht7m9G85fs

Ah, the sound of a two stroke!
MIZ RX3
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby MIZ RX3 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Now have a sponsor on board for this season *stay tuned* :D
MIZ RX3
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby un_majstk » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:09 pm

cool !

"NOT A NICE BIKE_002.DRF" ???
un_majstk
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Honda

Postby MIZ RX3 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:32 am

un_majstk wrote:cool !

"NOT A NICE BIKE_002.DRF" ???

The mechanic in question (Brett form MotoGarage) HATES this bike, and generally EVERYTHING we bring into his workshop (theres always one bike in there for something!) but its just a bit of fun. :)
MIZ RX3
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Greenblood » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:47 am

MIZ RX3 wrote:
Damon Z1000 wrote:Just looking, does anyone know if that speedo cable is routed right?
It looks like a real weird position going into the fairing :?

Well it works fine, its bang on... *shrugs*

The front left brake disc was fuxored when we got Archie home, so the first thing we did was order a set of these....

Now I cant run them in PCRA - the bike must be visibly indistinguishable from stock, so another set of stock rotors are on their way too - but I like the purdy ones for now, and at only $150~ish bucks - who cares?!

He's off for a Dyno run at Midday then a Rego inspection and new custom numberplates :)

Hey MIZ

Looking great, just wondering wher you got the rotors from I am looking for a new set on the 7?
2017 ZX10RR Road
2006 ZX6R Race Bike
1997 ZX7R Pirate MkII
Greenblood
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby MIZ RX3 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:16 pm

Greenblood wrote:Hey MIZ

Looking great, just wondering wher you got the rotors from I am looking for a new set on the 7?

We just picked them up off Ebay, but not sure they make them for a 7... These were specifically for a Suzuki RGV250 VJ22, but im sure someone somewhere will have them for yours! :)
MIZ RX3
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby slaps999 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:26 pm

Is that an old Suzuki GT250 or GT380 squashed against the wall in the very crowded garage?
slaps999
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX
State: Victoria

Postby MIZ RX3 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:40 pm

slaps999 wrote:Is that an old Suzuki GT250 or GT380 squashed against the wall in the very crowded garage?

Yep, Thats Robyn, My Suzuki GT250 Cafe Racer-in the making :)
MIZ RX3
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby slaps999 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:24 pm

MIZ RX3 wrote:
slaps999 wrote:Is that an old Suzuki GT250 or GT380 squashed against the wall in the very crowded garage?

Yep, Thats Robyn, My Suzuki GT250 Cafe Racer-in the making :)

8) Aah, fond memories, my very first bike, way back in '72. 8) :kuda: :kuda:
slaps999
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX
State: Victoria

Postby MIZ RX3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:59 am

Well He’s had his shakedown. On Sunday just passed I took him to MDTC for a ride-day with another forum. TLDR version: I crashed first sesh, bike is okay, I only have a busted shoulder.
The BF and I were well prepared (for a change) with our bikes and gear, that our only last minute pre-Marulan preparations were to have dinner and a couple of drinks with some mates. *bliss* The electrical gremlins in the Gixxer of Doom were sorted early last week and a seat built, the sexy pink bodywork now fitted and we were set to go! Woot! *insert excitement here* The RGV was set almost from the day I bought him, but it was to be our first ride day together, how romantic lol.

A sprinkling of rain came down as we pulled into MDTC and started to unload all the bikes. Great, let’s hope that was to be it for the day. Yeah well it seems the weather gods had other ideas! With the rider briefing and track walk done, it was time to see the Blue group head out – Was great to watch those first few gingerly laps then see them get stuck into it, despite to hideous weather, they had a blast. One day I’ll get into the Fast group – but that’s a long way off!!

My Group (Green group) had a very special continginacy for this year’s ride day, 4 Stink wheels – a Cagiva Mito and 3 RGV’S!!!! We had a freakin ball, all taking it easy, carefully navigating our way around the puddles and slippery bits on the track. I got Ike on his Zx-9 (mel’s old blue one) in my sights and and planned to make my move. Oops, mistake one! Compression lock up in the back sent me sliding down the tarmac. My “crash” was not too major – Archie was still running!! When I stopped sliding down the bitumen, first thing was to get up, turn his ignition off, put him in neutral and get him off the track. Red Flags went out, a couple of the firies came out to give me a hand, but I had him up and on 2 wheels again and getting him into the pits.
Damage accquired: Front fairing is missing a little bit, RHS Bar end is mangled, as is the end of the throttle grip, Front Brake lever has a few scratches, broken and bent rear brake lever and a few scratches on the fairings all down the RHS. No biggy! Nothing a bolt, and some duct tape couldn’t fix! Supa found another bar end in our fix-it boxes, and mended the broken rear brake lever with a bolt and some gaffa. Such a wonderful BF! I luckily sustained far less damage: A bit of a carpet-like-burn on my left hip (no loss of ink from tattoo), a small hole in the palm of my left glove, some scuffs on my boots and only a little bit of roughage to my leathers! WIN!

A bit of a rest, some Allens snakes, 2 panadol and a couple of bandaids later, I was out on the BarbieGixxer750M for session 2. BahHumbug, the rains have settled in. Time to take it super super easy. I got 2 laps in and decided “Can’t See Shit Captain!” and pulled into the pits. I didn’t want to bin the Pink bike aswell.
Third Sesh was much better – I took Archie out again and it was almost completely dry for the green group – but those dark clouds up over the top of the track were threatening to spoil our fun. BOO!!!! I was smooth, comfortable and havin’ Fun! Turning later and later each corner, giving it some herbs and making that tiny little 2-stroke sing his little heart out. So cute! We all came back in after 15 min all buzzing and chirping away about how much better that session was not only because it was dry, but it gave us all that little bit more confidence to give it some!
A friendly RGV battle at T10 for a couple laps with a good friend of mine was a lot of fun, Riding almost mechanically identical bikes made things fun, not to add both our competitive natures into the equations. It’s not a race, but it’s fun to get out there with like-minded peeps and have a bit of friendly competition!

Session 4 saw more rain, with the track closed for half hour. Now, at this point I was asking myself who in Green group had some serious Karma coming their way and who jinxed us. Ohwell, let’s make the most of it, instead of focusing on going fast, lets concentrate on being smooth and consistent. And in the rain, that’s all you can concentrate on.

Session 5 was like that Favourite jumper you put in the washing machine last night, but it’s still not 100% dry yet and you wear it anyway.. Nothing you can do about it, but grin and bear it. Time to really open Archie up. This was the first track/ride day where I’d had Archie to ride, so I had a lot to learn and get used to. With a little coaching from Gos on how to ride it properly, I had my gear shifts down pat and was getting on the gas earlier and harder. No wonder there’s a race class for these things, they’re hilarious, and a shit-tonne of fun!

When Session 6 came around I still had my gear out and the bike was ready to go, but my shoulder was starting to ache and I needed to change the Gauze on my hip, and I just wanted to get out of my leathers and dry off. So I threw the towel in and sat the last session out. In the van and in the dry. Car + Coffee + Cruise Control and we were off home not long after.

It was all of 10 minutes after i walked in our front door that i was sound asleep in bed. Totally wrecked, but still with a giant smile on my face. Had a physio session this morning, My GP and the Physio both reckon I’ve bruised the bone of my shoulder blade (scapula) and have strained the surrounding muscle up to the rotator cuff. Grr, at least there’s no breaks or fractures, but I still have pretty much full use of the arm, still able to ride and drive.
BIG Thanks go to Gos for his advice and scruiteneering, Supa passes on his thanks for the help with the repairs 
So that’s 2 small offs for me, 1 for the road bike and 1 for the track bike. What’s next? Well I’ve already ordered new fairings from eBay so he’ll be fixed soon, and I’m looking into superbike school before my double header at PI on Easter weekend. I’m really starting to think about if I’m really cut out for track riding and whether I should continue to prepare him for PCRA. I know the bikes ready, but I very much doubt I am. Ohwell, Superbike school first then I’ll see.

MIZ RX3
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby ty » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Great stuff Stacey ;) with that weather I'm kind of glad I had to miss it.
Go for the superbike school and do as many track days as you can fit in and you'll likely be right for racing - too early to question yourself after one track off ;)
Good luck with the shoulder.
If you have no fear, you're not going fast enough.
Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
ty
Team Ninja

Bike: Honda

Postby MIZ RX3 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:18 pm

Okay, so finally an update:

Day 1 - Monday: Started damn early, up at 6 to make sure the BF (herein referred to as Supa) had enough time to do his hair and make-up. Everything had been packed tightly in the van for the trip down from Canberra, and for the 4 days we spent in Melbourne. We're talking 2 bikes, 4 stands, a set of wheels for the RGV, wets tyres, helmets, boots, leathers, suitcases, spares for both bikes, you name it we had it in that poor little Renault Trafic. We had to be at the track early to unload all our stuff, sign on, scruiteneer the bikes and be at the riders briefing at 8.40am, so we had alot to do and not long to do it all in. 7.30am saw us pulling up behind Brett from MotoGarage's gigantic Tardis Van+trailer combo and off to sign our track indemnity forms. One sexy fluro orange wristband later and we were in the tunnel on the road to the Pit Garages.

The BF and I are getting pretty good at packing the little Renault (for which we aptly named Marcell - for he is french.) with all our gear, as we had him for Eastern Creek in December last year, so unloading all our crap took less time than we thought and before i knew it we were signing in and getting our white wristbands from the lovely Sandy from PIRD. I was to deal with Sandy quite a lot over the next 2 days, more on that later.

I've found, no matter where I take the RGV, there's always that token old bloke in scruiteneering who 'remembers when these first came out and had one brand new'. It’s always a hoot when they ask me whether it flies with little me on it, and today was no different. He barely even looked at the RGV, and instead just wanted to chat about how he wants to get a small 250 and have a bit of a go at racing a few of his mates. He slapped a A-OK Sticker on the RGV, I wheeled it to Garage 26 and on its stands it went on I threw on the warmers. I had a brand new set of Dunlop ά12’s on the RGV and was scared shitless about how I’d go with new tyres! **

There were 4 Riders in our garage (Supa, Brett, Mark - a MotoGarage customer and I ) and 5 bikes (the Monster, the RGV, an 848, a CBR600 and Richie Zaja's Superbike CBR1000 – that sadly Supa has his eye on…), 2 spectators and Conner, so it was a tight packed little group for the 2 days.

Riders briefing is just like any other briefing, the Flags, the do's and the don'ts, no wheelies, etc and no riding naked, for which Supa was most disappointed about. Before I knew it White Group (slowest of the slow) got their 5 minute call and i was out and waiting with all the other noobs at Track control. This is when my dark ‘am I really ready for this’ fears started to kick in.. I haven’t gone PCRA Racing yet because I just don’t have the confidence, or the speed. But it’s the lack of confidence that stops me from getting any faster. Time to do something about that!

OMG what can I say about being out on one of the fastest tracks in the world? Not much, other than I've never imagined something so brilliant and exciting in my entire life. Most of you will have heard my ridiculous high-pitched giggle when I’m super excited and happy about something, well I heard it for the first time louder than ever in my helmet. And it was BRILLIANT. I was so nervous, but I knew if i was scared, I'd stack it, so it was about time to man up and grow a pair. and WOW. Turn one really makes you stick up and pay attention! Nothing prepares you for Honda Corner, except if you out brake yourself there's an exit run off that takes you back into the paddock behind the pits and the track staff want you to use it vs. lowsiding on the track. And on the 4th lap of session one, i needed it. I got a chick on a ZZR in my sights and just lost all concentration on what I was doing and swapped it for thinking about nothing but getting past her. Well i overtook her alright, but there was no fuckin way I was going to pull up in time to make the corner so I bashed down through the gears and coasted through the exit, back through the paddock (20km/h) limit and back to track control.

Leah from PIRD checked I was okay, had a giggle with me about ‘coming in a little bit hot with a side of chilli sauce’ and sent me back out again. The little 20km/h detour gave me time to tell myself i was stupid and an idiot for getting the 'pink mist' and stopped concentrating. I calmed myself and started thinking about what gear i wanted to be in, where i wanted to turn in, where i should be getting on the gas. It started to flow, and there’s no better feeling when you get it right. Before you know it, our session had ended and it was time to head back in. *sad face*

**according to BF who followed me for a lap or two, I was leaning further than I probably should have been on green tyres, but I never once felt it wriggle or slide.

Pt.2:
I’ll cut out all the middle boring bits about being passed by every Ducati 1098, 848, 1198 Corse out there because there’s nothing impressive about bigger bikes going faster. I was there to build my confidence and my skills. And boy oh boy did i?! The photo below is from the 3rd session on the first day.

http://www.sdpics.com/cgi-bin/e-store/i ... img=80&tt=

GOOD INVESTMENT
You overtook a $2000 lawnmower with a $57000 penis enhancement.

Or perhaps:

Maybe this:

Phillip Island Ride Day - $250.00
Brand new Ducati 1198 Corse S - $57000.00
23 year old Suzuki RGV 2 Stroke $2300.00

Being paced by a girl on a lawnmower : Priceless.

Ahh, this fits it perfectly:

When you get followed on your 1198 by a girl on a lawnmower... consider spending the $57000 on golf clubs and lessons.

***talent / ‘tælent/, n. 1. A special natural ability or aptitude: a talent for drawing. 2. A capacity for achievement or success; natural ability: young men of talent. 3. Persons of ability; she was riding an RGV faster and harder than an 1198Corse.- talented, adj.

I might haven't been the fastest out there, but I was on the cheapest, and going just as hard as the guy on the most expensive! There were a few hired CSBS GSXR600’s in the white group (plus a whole bunch of ppl who should have been in faster groups, but booked into white so they didn’t miss out) and they were faster and quicker than me, but not by much. I liked observing the different lines everybody took into each corner, for example, I’d been taking a tighter line though Southern Loop (T2) than some of the bigger bikes and turning later into MG Corner (T10) than some of the 600’s.

I was only using the brakes for Honda Corner (T4) and MG Corner (which looks steeper on TV than from on the bike as you come down from Lukey Heights), and everywhere else I was flat out and wringing poor little Archie’s neck! At the end of the 4th session I was flying through Turn 12 onto the straight flat out in 3rd. The whole way round the corner. And I was even over taking (and up the inside) of people! The little lawnmower that could was using 5L of fuel and <100ml of oil each session! Fkn BOOYAH!

Now, I’m not saying this means anything, but, I.. ahh, um, I got my knee down… Yeah that’s right *pops collar* ON MG CORNER !!! BOOMSHAKALAKA! LOL. Oh and then I did it again.. on Honda. *struts* Now I’m sure you’re thinking, whoopee, but after my 2 left hand corner lowsides, my technique has been all outta whack, even just going around roundabouts, I’d been over cautious, changing lines, braking when I shouldn’t. But I found it, and I worked it! LOL

Enough talk, how bout some pics hey?!

By the end of the day I had my technique down pat and I’d over taken that chick on the ZZR 4 times, scared the hell out of a VTR250 on the straight twice and lapped a bloke on a GSXR600. Confidence: FOUND!

Day 2:

Same morning routine, except it wasn’t quite as early because we had a reserved garage we could lock all the bikes and our gear in it!

Session one saw me go a little off-road on MG Corner. Archie stayed upright, we just decided instead of trying to turn through the corner in NEUTRAL instead of in gear, we’d happily coast off onto the grass and sit the rest of the session out on a tyre-wall. Best spectator point ever! All that happened was it didn’t quite slip into 1st gear as I was downshifting to turn (I think the clutch is on its way out too after Supa took him out in the last session of yesterday) and it was past the point of no return. I did learn how to stop of wet grass though! One thing I did notice though was a LOT of the other ridetrs

The weather was beautiful, not a cloud in the sky, and not even foggy at the track in the morning. I learnt so much about my riding and my bike, and the track of course, but by session 2, I was moving my butt out of the seat and leaning further and further. The only down side for both days was a dude on a black ZX10R with Gold Wheels, Gold boots and a white helmet decided he’d buzz me within 2metres, and was close enough to clip my elbow in Siberia. TWICE. I reported it to Track Management and Boy oh Boy was Sandy ANGRY! She walked though every garage to find the guy, then she stuck Steve Brogy(sp?!) on his tail and he was warned if he did it once more (or passed within 2m of anyone) he’d be kicked out and not allowed to return again. I paid my money fair and square, and just because I’m on a little bike doesn’t give anyone else anymore rights that I have. And that goes for everyone – if you are having troubles with someone else’s riding, report them. Get your monies worth!!!!

Supa was in a group up on day two, which meant we could do some unofficial *cough* iPhone-timing *cough* Turns out I was doing consistant 2.33's on the RGV (over 4 seconds faster per lap than day 1) and 2.29's on the Monster (over 6 seconds faster than Day 1) First time I’d ever ridden a bike on slicks too! OMG got Grip? It’s unbelievable how much grip the Monster had – HOLY CRAP ON A CRAKER! No chicken strips left on Archie either! My Favourite corner? Siberia. Least favourite corner? Lukey Heights. Why? I’m never going fast enough!!!!

I cannot wait to get back on the track, and we’re already planning another Eastern Creek day in June!

“Been there, Rode that, Got my knee down”

PS: if you're using brakes at more than 2 points and you're a sissy bitch!
MIZ RX3
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Show Off Your Ride & Photo Comp