Archie, My 1990 Lucky Strike RGV250 VJ21

Show us your happy snaps here

Re: Archie, My 1990 Lucky Strike RGV250 VJ21

Postby kawadave » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:11 am

8) ...wish we had something like that to sharpen our skills in bum fk bundy ...top vid Jonno. :kuda:
Don't knock my turbo lag - it gives your naturally aspirated a chance..

2013 Motogp tipping champ.

83 GPZ 750 Turbo
78 Z1R 1000
80 Z1R Mk11
07 ZRX 1200r
83 GSX1000sd Katana

https://www.youtube.com/user/htmonaro
kawadave
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZRX
State: Queensland

Postby MIZ RX3 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:34 pm

right, so the build was pretty simple in the grand scheme of building a track/race bike, ours was purely cosmentic, wth very little service. However, it needed to present well at scruiteneering, so i went into battle, with Fibreglass as my weapon.

$30 from Supercheap buys you one of these.. I bought 2.

20ml of Resin to 6drops of catalyst turns bright blue into slimy green and you patch it into the fibreglass sheeting (on the left).

a quick trip to bunnings brings home a few other things you'll need, all for under $100.

(L - R: Metho, Disposable Gloves, Fibreglass roller, Paint brushes and paddle pop sticks)

to work with all the fairings, you gotta strip the bike. Stupid me decided to move the bike and start it in the driveway. Any one guess why i was puzzled as to why it wouldn't start? I'll give you a hint. It begins with T and ends in 'ank'. Fuck i'm an idiot :p

Bit of fibreglass and some FG putty later and its time for dome 60grit, 80grit and then 120grit sand paper. Im so glad i had a mouse sander, i think I'd still be at it if i had to do it by hand!! Usually I'd then Wet&Dry from 800 all the way up to 2000grit, but at this stage, I wasn't looking for perfection, and i just didn't have the time to do it. I mean, it is a Team Ghetto Racing bike - cant be too good!

Sanding is a messy job!

60grit, 80grit and a final 120grit sand and some etch primer - thank god for Capital Auto Paints light etch primer (usually its a dark grey and is a b*tch to paint white over)

Now the "secret squirrel" paint job had been highly coveted, not lemon and aubergine, not orange and black, but Team Lucky Stace Suzuki PINK AND WHIIIIITE!!!! Robracer - as you can see - Did a MAGNIFICENT job with my custom sticker order, and massive ups to you Rob - Archina (as Archie has now been dubbed) just would not be the same without your mammoth effort ;)

Pink on the outside, but still green on the inside!
MIZ RX3
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Ninja 250
State: ACT

Archie, My 1990 Lucky Strike RGV250 VJ21

Postby Wattie » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:38 pm

Looks awesome!!

well done Stacey!
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby Jonno » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:49 am

Great Job MiZ, must be a sale on that colour paint there in Canbera :lol:

How neat is Steves bike tho 8)
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby MickLC » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Steve's not even from Canberra! :lol:

But his bike is for sale, so if you want a bloody fast LC then you couldn't go wrong with that one.
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000

Postby tim » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:40 pm

Very nice well done guys! :supz:

What paint do you use on the exhaust?
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Jonno » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:16 pm

MickLC wrote:Steve's not even from Canberra! :lol: .
:oops: and I know that too :roll:
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby EDU » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:09 pm

99% impressed to the power of max... but what happened to those rim stickers? :shock: :shock:
EDU
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Dafuzz31 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:27 pm

Wowo that has come up great,,,,, I think the pink link pipe is a deal breaker......i reckon if more chicks saw this on the road we would see more ladies like urself throwning on the leather pants/chaps

What a future site
2009 ZX-6r Monster Energy Edition - Hotbodies MGP Growler slipon, DynoJet PCV, Dyno Jet Auto Tune, K&N Race Airfilter
Dafuzz31
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: Victoria

Postby Eian » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:46 pm

Haha thats Mad,you've done a great job on Archina.I see you've even got lego man on the guard!
This is a great post all round too,cause you have a real good writing style.This story would have made a great doco.Better than most stuff on telly now anyway.
Good luck with your riding and racing,good luck to the rest of team ghetto too.
“Faster, Faster, Until The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death." -Hunter S. Thompson
Eian
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZX14R

Postby MIZ RX3 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:26 pm

tim wrote:Very nice well done guys! :supz:

What paint do you use on the exhaust?

just plain old VHT Exhaust and Block Paint (High Temp Resistant) at $5.00 a can from Auto Barn! Comes in a bunch of different colours!

Dafuzz31 wrote:Wowo that has come up great,,,,, I think the pink link pipe is a deal breaker......i reckon if more chicks saw this on the road we would see more ladies like urself throwning on the leather pants/chaps

What a future site

Thanks, if it inspires one woman to get her license or go racing then its a bonus. I'm out there for my own thirills and my own developments, but at the same time, if someone wants to come play too, I'd love some company out there!

Bit of an update, No blown crankcase seal, just some very blocked up carbs (from running the tank on Reserve to compete the one hour without a fuel stop) so he was back up and running for the CR Marualn day just passed. HOWEVER, it appears we now have no electircs at all. Turn the ignition key, and usually the power valves open and close and make a "Whuuur" noise. But we get nmothing, no dash lights, no powervalves, and he doesn't kick over :(

So New battery first, then we'll go hunting .. :(
Pink on the outside, but still green on the inside!
MIZ RX3
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Ninja 250

Postby robracer » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:40 pm

MIZ RX3 wrote: HOWEVER, it appears we now have no electircs at all. Turn the ignition key, and usually the power valves open and close and make a "Whuuur" noise. But we get nmothing, no dash lights, no powervalves, and he doesn't kick over :(

Stace do one thing first.... Bypass the kill switch on the right bar & see if that is the cause ;)
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Maddog » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Spare bike for the track perhaps...http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Suzuki-RGV-2 ... 4aaf8601b8
I see you had plenty of spares when you purchased Archie...But...This one looks like a later model bike but maybe a good complete spare....Or 1 for Supa to take out and chase you round.
The Older I Get The FASTER I Was

You start with a bag of luck and an empty bag of experience.
The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck...
Maddog
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning

Postby supamodel » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:18 pm

MIZ RX3 wrote:Bit of an update, No blown crankcase seal, just some very blocked up carbs (from running the tank on Reserve to compete the one hour without a fuel stop) so he was back up and running for the CR Marualn day just passed. HOWEVER, it appears we now have no electircs at all. Turn the ignition key, and usually the power valves open and close and make a "Whuuur" noise. But we get nmothing, no dash lights, no powervalves, and he doesn't kick over :(

Update on this. Spent about 15 minutes and nice and easy diagnosis: either reg/rect or crappy earthing thereof.

Battery was at 3.3V. Which is, er, a bit low. Not surprising nothing fired up. Didn't leave the key on (you can pull the key with the ignition on) from Marulan, I know this cause I'd have noticed that I already had the key on when I tried to fire him up once getting him off the trailer.

Since the 1 hour, the powervalve cycling on startup has sounded a touch sick. The pulleys weren't siezed or coked up, but probably a case of crappy voltage from the battery. I just figured my hearing was gone.

Why do I suspect crappy earthing of reg/rect? Well, classic RGV: 14ish v at sensible revs but starts overvolting at high revs (8k+). Funnily enough, that's what you do on the track. Usually the cause is not a dead rectifier but crap earthing of the resistor that dumps out excess power. That power is normally soaked up by the headlight, but funnily enough... no headlights to soak it up. So I'll clean all the earth connections and see, otherwise you can get reg/rects pretty easily.

Easy-peasy.
supamodel
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Ducati

Previous

Return to Show Off Your Ride & Photo Comp