Yay Finished!!! - My 1991 ZXR750 Restoration

Show us your happy snaps here

Yay Finished!!! - My 1991 ZXR750 Restoration

Postby Bogan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:24 am

When was the last big crash? The forum, not a bike... My bike thread has disappeared again...

Anyway, here it is again:

It's a stock 1991 ZXR750J I picked up from Maroochydore and rode all the way home. It's been dropped at some point and painted badly so future plans include some paint and sticker loving back to the stock paint job a little bit of bling and some general cleanup loving. These bikes go plenty fast enough for me so there's no need for more herbs, it's only going to be used for weekend warrior stuff and the occasional track day maybe.

The first bling to be added was the plate and rego tube combo. Unfortunately they don't do the lime green plates any more in the ACT, something about not enough contrast for the cameras to read the white lettering on the plates (Booooooo!!!) so I went for the blue over the dark green it matches better.

If you want a slogan on your ACT bike plate they can do it but the computer system can't cope with it, so be prepared for some patience at the shopfront and make sure they mark the form "Must have slogan" and maybe even have them make a phone call to the place that makes them so they get it right the first time (took me two goes to have it made right).

We got there in the end and I think it looks spectabulous, best looking part of the bike for the moment...

The list of things to do is growing, as is the pile of parts in the shed. It now has a hugger in black plastic.

So far I have still to do:

• Fix the clutch so I can at least ride it hehehe... (this is underway, isn't it Gos... ;) I'm more than happy to come and assist, I don't want to be a bike mechanical zombie all my life).
  • I've got a new old fuel tap to go on including hoses (the one that's on it now leaks when in the on position).
  • I've got new old lower fairings and a new screen to go on when the whole bike gets painted and stickered up (I'll be booking this in REAL soon).
  • I picked up a second hand factory exhaust system ($50 from eBay w00t!!) with no bends or cracks (the only damage is to the can and bracket) and it looks like the current Laser can is just bolted to the factory pipes. Can anyone say shorty spare can? :lol:. The current headers and pipework have a bit of damage from the dropping.
  • Still needs chain and sprockets :oops:.
  • Gotta find or have made a rear seat cowl to give it that single seater look (found one at Pyramid and am waiting for a return email).
  • Find a full set of factory indicators second hand cheap somewhere, the little ones on it look poxy.
  • Maybe an undertray and tidy up the rear fender but I don't want to ruin the factory look.

And the best bit, I ordered all my stickers and new mirrors today for the respray, should be able to pick them up from Aitkens when I go up to Sydney for Maiden!!111!11ONE YEAH!!!!!!!111!!!11
Last edited by Bogan on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Tony

I have become race...

the kid wrote:But remember one thing , Dave #3 watches videos of rampant Circus Ponies every time Cath goes down the street shopping so dont listen to anything he says . :twisted:
Bogan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Other Kawi
State: ACT

Re: Bogan's ZXR750J

Postby Valheru70 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:41 am

Very nice, I always liked the ZXR750,I remember going to a motorshow in Perth when they came out they are hot.
Valheru70
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R
State: Western Australia

Re: Bogan's ZXR750J

Postby Bogan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:08 am

This weekend saw the beginning of the great strip down and pretty up. Problem Child and I put in a good few hours in my shed, and everything came off that needed to. I now have all the plastics that are cracked or in need of repair in the back of the car so they can get done this week, and we're off paint shopping on Thursday.

The Damage:

Front guard cracked in two places (discovered).

Chrome wearing/worn on front forks (discovered). Repair/replace/just replace fork seals periodically when they bugger out?

Tail light surround broken (discovered).

Three out of eight exhaust collars broken (discovered).

Cush drive worn/broken (discovered).

Front nose cone cracked underneath (known).

Right side lower fairing and left side rear fairing need repair (known).

Lower radiator bracket to be replaced and bottom radiator mount bent (known).

Chain and sprockets to be replaced (known :lol: ).

Exhaust to be changed after I remove the can from the buggered pipe (known). There are three dome headed allen key bolts holding it on and all three of the buggers have stripped :(.

Right side clip on to be straigtened or replaced (discovered last weekend).

Factory indicators to be fitted.

New rear tyre to be fitted.

Paint and stickers.

I'll get the cush drive new, I doubt anyone would bother with a second hand one?

Chain and sprockets could be a story, should I just go to Kawasaki and get them or are there chains and then there are chains? I'm not a racer and I don't want to spend a fortune but I don't want to have to do them again in a month because I bought crap. Opinions? I've read a few threads and they mention 520 chain vs. 530 and stuff like gold chains (I need more bling) and hard anodised rear sprockets (which may also come in green/gold/blue). Chain Gang. local Kawa dealer or eBay? Oh and for what it's worth the front sprocket nut was a piece of piss to get off, I'll check the manual when we put it back together for the correct torque setting.

As for the other bits I need I'll amend my wanted to buy post but if anyone has any ZXR750J bits feel free to get in touch.

More photos at my Flickr Photo Page.

Thanks PC for a great day in the shed, hopefully it won't be long now and the beast will look like I've wanted it to for almost 12 months :) :) :).
Tony

I have become race...

the kid wrote:But remember one thing , Dave #3 watches videos of rampant Circus Ponies every time Cath goes down the street shopping so dont listen to anything he says . :twisted:
Bogan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Re: Advice Needed - Bogan's ZXR750J Rebuild

Postby Bogan » Fri May 02, 2008 2:34 pm

Pics added of my motorcycle naked and legless (should I call it Neka?).
Tony

I have become race...

Bogan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby drewboy » Wed May 28, 2008 4:51 pm

Hey bogan, i have a set of Keihin FCR flatslide crabies (with velocity stacks) that will fit your ZXR750! they've done no work (on the bike for about 2000k's before it was written off) cost me $2000 from show+go in South Australia. willing to sell them for half that if your interested. Bolt striaght on, for about %20 power increase.

cheers
Andrew
Previous:
1991 ZXR 750
2006 Z750
Current:
2010 Z1000
drewboy
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Z1000
State: Queensland

Postby Bogan » Thu May 29, 2008 4:18 pm

No thanks dude, way out of my price range and I have more than enough mumbo :).

Update:

Plastic welding has finished and painting has started. Cush drive picked up today and chain and sprockets about to be, waiting to hear back. Have to get a right handlebar (/me wanders off to 'find a part'). I have the exhaust collars, and the can is now separated from the buggered pipe, with a lot of help from Mick C in his shed, we made a funny looking slug of metal out of a perfectly good bolt :). The rear tyre is replaced with a Pilot Road 2. I've got the wheels back now so I'll wheel it out into the yard and give it a good old fashined degrease, what bits other than the exhaust ports and intake should I be worried about getting water in? I'll put the clutch slave cylinder back in so no water gets in the oil there, where else should I cover/avoid with the hose?

Thanks to Greenman and Kwaka for their help with the parts, we're slowly getting there:

Progress on the tank, masking up for the blue:

This is what the base coat looks like for the splinky blue:

After clear went on another photo, looks very wankacino arty with the lights :):

And here's the tank in all its glory. The pearl white looks the goods out in the sunlight:

And here's my splinky painted wheels with one new hoop:

As always, more photos at flickr.
Tony

I have become race...

Bogan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Re: Progress with pics - Bogan's ZXR750J Rebuild

Postby Six Addict » Thu May 29, 2008 4:22 pm

nice pics mate!!! cant wait to see it finished!!!
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati
State: New South Wales

Postby Gosling1 » Thu May 29, 2008 7:58 pm

thats looking the goods mate !!! Can't wait to see it finished....

How did you go with *Findapart* , instead of *The Robbing Bastards* ??

:lol:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900

Postby Bogan » Thu May 29, 2008 9:52 pm

Gosling1 wrote:How did you go with *Findapart* , instead of *The Robbing Bastards* ??

I called the dudes you mentioned and they were already cheaper, haven't checked my email yet though ;). Will have a look now.
Tony

I have become race...

Bogan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Bogan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:05 pm

Here's a trap for young players, I think PC has taught himself some new swear words over the last week.

If you didn't already know (I didn't) trying to put two pack over old acrylic paint can lead to tears. I don't have any pics. but the undercoat goes on and it's not until you put the top coat on and it tries to dry/shrink/work its magic that all sorts of crows feet/other wacky paint shenanigans take place. Surface prepping including taking all the old acrylic off is the only way.

:(

We live and learn I guess.
Tony

I have become race...

Bogan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby robracer » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:48 pm

Bugga ... I had the same once with Acrylic Primer & 2K paint :oops: never again
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Ebay - Buyer Beware... (Grrrrrr)

Postby Bogan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:05 am

The next pain in the arse hiccup has reared its ugly head...

The new second hand side fairings I bought off ebay had been repaired when I bought them, but the repairs looked pretty good, and the J has unique fairings to any other model ZXR except maybe the K so I didn't think much more about it. Until now.

stuffup.JPG
stuffup.JPG (25.16 KiB) Viewed 9489 times

The circled mounting hole (to the radiator bracket) has been completely reconstructed on the right hand side. The blue sticker that goes on the side has two holes in it, one for the one circled mount and one for the screw towards the front that mounts into the front belly pan cover thing. The hole circled in the picture it turns out is in the completely wrong fucking place and doesn't line up with the sticker (or I assume the mounting bracket under the fairing).

So now I gotta get a lug to mount to the nose cone welded back onto my old right hand fairing (from where i had one cut off and welded onto the dodgy one because I thought it was better :evil: ) and have it painted so the stickers can go on.

Lucky it's in reasonable nick, would have been in much better nick before I had it cut up to repair a "better" one but them are the breaks I guess.

All going well it should be stickered by the end of the week, then I just have to pull the swingarm and forks off and check out the bearings, and then put it all back together.

Did I mention :evil: :evil: :evil: ???
Tony

I have become race...

Bogan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Happy Anniversary!!!

Postby Bogan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:31 pm

12 months ago yesterday I first threw my leg over my pride and joy :).

It's just a shame it will be another couple of weeks yet (at least) until I can go for a celebratory fang.
Last edited by Bogan on Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

I have become race...

Bogan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Re: Happy Anniversary!!! (My ZXR)

Postby Nanna10r » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:23 am

Congrats Tony, the first of many happy burfdys for ya matey.
Cheers Nanna

BTW top work pal keep it coming.
"Nan & Pop Racing"
Poppy Hops on .... CBR150 (Superlite) CBR954 "Blade"
Nanna Naps on .... MoriWAKI NSR85 (Motolite) ZX10R "Crim"
We may ride like Old Can'ts, But Phuk we look DOOG !!!!!!
Nanna10r
Team Ninja

Bike: ZX10R
State: Queensland

Re: Happy Anniversary!!! (My ZXR)

Postby Gosling1 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:21 pm

Having seen all the bits getting done in PC's paintshop .... :shock: - all I can say is - wait till you see this baby back on the road !! The paint job is *spectacular* - stock, but the bike will basically look *brand new*....

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900

Next

Return to Show Off Your Ride & Photo Comp