Switch to full style
New to KSRC? Then why not tell us about yourself and your bike.
Post a reply

Newbie w/out a bike

Thu May 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Hey been thinking of getting into riding for a while now and I'm really getting serious about it now (Going to a kwaka dealer on Monday for a looksie )
I'm in Moree in NSW don't know if there's anyone on here from this area? Names Anthony or Frax and I'm 23.

Trying to decide between the Ninja 250 and LAMS Ninja 650. I'm about 6'2" and around 85-90kg's so have been thinking the extra 30 or so kg's that the 650 has over the 250 shouln't be too much of an issue but I haven't really had much riding experience so maybe that 30kg's could be a bit more of a handfull then I think?

Am hoping to get the missus onto a bike with me because I'm quite keen on the idea of throwing a couple pairs of clothes into some backpacks, jumping on the bikes and going for a weekend ride.
Have been toying with the idea of buying a 250 for me to get more confident and improve my ability on and for her to learn on and then buying a 650 for myself and giving her the 250?

Um yeah thats about it :)
I'm willing to learn anything that needs to be learnt so any words of advice just throw em at me.

Re: Newbie w/out a bike

Thu May 19, 2011 7:21 pm

650 ;)

Welcome :kuda:

Thu May 19, 2011 7:22 pm

I reckon the heavier bike is much more stable on the road, you're an inch shorter and just a couple of kilo's lighter
and I look like Magilla Gorilla on a 2 fiddy.

Thu May 19, 2011 7:23 pm

Welcome Frax... :kuda:

Fri May 20, 2011 7:21 am

Welcome to KSRC. :)

Fri May 20, 2011 8:10 am

thanks for the welcome hopefully the dealer close to me has a 650 for me to sit on. Gotta get some leathers and boots and gloves and a helmet too. Thinking a Shoei XR1100 http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?sec ... rodid=9970
$850 may be a lot but I've only got one head might aswell take good care of it :)

Newbie w/out a bike

Fri May 20, 2011 10:18 am

Frax wrote:thanks for the welcome hopefully the dealer close to me has a 650 for me to sit on. Gotta get some leathers and boots and gloves and a helmet too. Thinking a Shoei XR1100 http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?sec ... rodid=9970
$850 may be a lot but I've only got one head might aswell take good care of it :)

Welcome.

About the shoei ... They are nice hats but you pay a premium for them. Don't discount the other major brands. Currently have shoei but my next lid will be a shark or agv. The helmet warehouse in yagoona usually have some v good deals worth checking out.

Mon May 23, 2011 1:41 pm

Cheers mate will look into it. I'm liking the shark helmets with the drop down tinted visor in the helmet.
Unfortunately the dealer I saw today doesn't have a 650 in stock so will have to look elsewhere. Luckily for me I'm about to go on a weeks holiday in Maroochydore so surely I will find one up there.

Newbie w/out a bike

Mon May 23, 2011 1:48 pm

Welcome.

Go the 650. Alot easier to survive 3 years on it the a 250.

As for a Helmet check out Bikebiz.com. They have the shark rsr2 on sale ATM. Normally 799 but 449 ATM. Top shelf helmet with all the trimmings and a very god quick release visor system.

Thu May 26, 2011 10:06 pm

Welcome champ :kuda:

My 2 bits of advise are as follows;

1. Versys 650RL, ripper bike in unrestricted format so the L\LAMS version should be the same with less grunt ;)

2. Get the best gear you can ;)

Enjoy :kuda:

Fri May 27, 2011 7:57 am

If you do buy a versys, the restrictors are dead easy to remove when the time comes. :D

Fri May 27, 2011 12:28 pm

Start off on the zx10r, no cops can catch ya. Then when ya man up after 2-3 years a ZRX is the perfect upgrade ;)

Fri May 27, 2011 4:49 pm

HI and welcome mate......... 8)

Fri May 27, 2011 8:48 pm

welcome :D :D
Post a reply